Sunday, October 14, 2007

Me and me alone

Many times I have been asked why not I take up teaching. Well, I strongly believe that teachers should be role-models for the students. You should have the knack of handling the peripherals of the subject too with interest. You should arrest the audience and make them beg for more of your words. More so, you must accept the volley of questions with an open mind, precipitate the atmosphere with your wit and charm, toss away dubious points, and finally with sumptuous allegories drive the right answers into their brains. And you need to have loads of patience with students.

Sad but truth, I do possess none of the above. I am quite contented to shy away from the crowd and its plethora of mixed comments and settle down with my writings always in quietude. My world is full of birds and beasts; watching their euphoric moments of flapping or sprinting.

Usually my morning is always alighted by a bunch of doves chirping and flying together. I dream of that day to enjoy their perch on my shoulder, their soft feathers rubbing my cheeks & legs and their peck of grains from my hand happily. Can you imagine how wonderful it is to feel so? No amount of bribery can buy these innocent creatures. But the reality is, the moment I go near them with grains, they move away to a good distance. Out of the lot, just one white or grey bird would muster up courage and taste my offering. When they are all assured that I am no longer in their territory, one by one they all walk with their waggling feathery tail to join the quality controller.

One day while crossing the bridge I was so enthused to see these birds whirling in the sky like our air force display. Do they await me, I was jumping in joy for a moment. All my happiness dissolved when they didn’t recognize my presence at rendezvous. As I continued my walk with my friend in the corniche, they came down slowly with loud chirping. You know what? They were in fact waiting or searching for that man who used to bring them food everyday at same time same place. As soon as they saw him arriving, they all descended and with loud noise, surrounded that man with so much of love. Wow! What a sight to see!

Let me gracefully step aside human beings. I cannot be a teacher in this life, for I am yet to convince these birds; for I am still a student of nature marveling at her mystic and mysterious way of teaching the importance of innocence and love. I shall remain a student wondering till my last breath at the simple yet myriad dimensions that keep unfolding.

And I wish to be so!

At present, it’s me and me alone in this unusual fray of wooing these young fliers. And it’s worth a try. What do you say?

1 comment:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Your article is wonderful. You have beautifully described your boundless joy on seeing the array of birds. Marvellous!