Monday, November 10, 2008

Diwali in lights & colours

* On October 27, the week's Monday meeting was again scheduled at my place and we celebrated Diwali together from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

* On 27th evening, all of a sudden Balaji decided to go to my friend's house. What was supposed to be a visit of half an hour gradually extended upto midnight. To my utter surprise, I got udi and Sai Baba's pictures from her which she had only received a couple of days back from Shirdi. Needless to mention how happy I was at that moment to receive them on the auspicious day.

* On 28th evening, we had a stream of guests from neighbourhood to extend Diwali greetings.

* I cannot say how delighted I was to receive calls from my dear friends.

* I was in boundless joy when I read a few words of concern. No idea why I behave like a kid sometimes.

* We are invited for a Diwali bash by our neighbour on 30th evening.

* A Diwali get-together was organised for 31st afternoon at our place. I would be missing the presence of my dear one(s) very much. However, it was a great celebration playing mafia, singing old Tamil songs, antakshari and story telling.

Our small two-bedroom flat is carpeted and hence I cannot afford to light lamps or draw rangolis outside or inside. However, I managed to make up this shortcoming with a few traditional adjustments... :)




When the colours are not available, then what for haldi and rice flour are kept in the cupboards? Here's a display of them in a thali...:)



To add flavour, kumkum and coriander powder too joined in this one...




This is how a typical Gulf Diwali is celebrated - no crackers or sparklers but only lighting of houses and hearts ... :D

7 comments:

Sapna Anu B.George said...

Padmaja........lovely rangoli , yet i agree to disagree with , with out crackers to we can make the festival of lights a memorable one. good toouch of art you have

Raj Arumugam said...

Hi Padmaja - a little late, but never too late for good thoughts:

Happy Deepavali to you and
all your loved ones!

Padmaja said...

Thank you, Sapna and Raj.

Anonymous said...

Good Blog, I think I want to find me, I will tell my other friends, on all

Anonymous said...

Although from different places, but this perception is consistent, which is relatively rare point!

Anonymous said...

Although we have differences in culture, but do not want is that this view is the same and I like that!
nylon fishing net

Anonymous said...

Diwali is one of the most highly celebrated festivals of northern India. This festival of light marks one of the holiest day for the Hindus of northern India…