Saturday, November 03, 2007

Grotesque gait

Have you ever watched the limping of stray dogs and cats? Do you feel anything at that time?

As a young girl, I used to fondle our pet dog, Mothi. I was very possessive of that black King. I could never tolerate any passing remark on him. While my parents would be fuming at his mischievous adventures in and around our house, I used to amuse, enjoy and cuddle him for what he was. In a few words, he was a part of our big family, so much so that during arati time everyday he would attend wherever he might be hiding in our compound. He was a beast of carefree attitude, yet would love to demand all attention on him.

All his bravery would be dissolved during Diwali time. I still vividly remember how he would manage to hide himself under the bed shaking and shivering with every sound of cracker. I lost charm in bursting crackers because of him as I didn’t want to give any kind of discomfort. In fact, I have learnt an important lesson of not giving pain to other beings out of my pleasure. That includes all stray dogs and cats on the roads.

With the arrival of Mothi into our household and his part of growing along with me, I understood how painful life must be for the homeless creatures, whether beast or human. Whenever I see children throwing stones on these hapless beings, I would get angry and admonish them not to do so. The echoes of such painful howls reverberates in my brain for a long time and it is more aching to see those limping animals fleeing for life from the young thugs. And I had always protected Mothi from such unscrupulous kids during my daily walks with him.

Mind you, I had limped only a few times to feel its real impact. But that was in childhood.

Yesterday, in a whirlwind mood to finish off the work before guests could arrive for lunch, I was buzzing in the kitchen like a tornado. Unexpected it was though unavoidable, a glass bowl kissed the ground with a cling clang sound scattering the glass pieces all over my usual den. One managed to pierce my left heel and damaged my normal walk. A few ounces of blood oozed but neither did I have time to mourn for this temporary loss nor for the shooting pain along with the leg pain (below left knee) I am experiencing of late. I managed to realize them only when they all left late in the evening.

The effect – I am limping now. Damage is done easily but mending takes time. So, always be alert. I learnt this important lesson yesterday one more time. Not only had I lost the glass bowl but also have gained a temporary grotesque gait.

It is hard to balance the whole body on one leg. How could these physically challenged people survive? A big salute to them all!



P.S. Invitation for New Year celebrations was extended to us by one of the guests spontaneously.

5 comments:

Latha said...

Simple and thought provoking article.
Your love for dogs have once again been reiterated.
Only when we get hurt do we understand the feelings of people suffering in pain. If the pain is short lived, our memory too fades.
Your style of writing is worth appreciating especially when you wrote - the glass bowl kissed the floor. It was a good way of describing the crash.
The title is well justified but failed to notice that style of walk in you when I met you. :-)

Padmaja said...

Haha! Thanks a lot for your detailed comments.

I was contemplating whether to keep it as 'Grotesque gait' or 'Limping limb' but finally settled the GG.

As for walking style, did you expect the chappani style? :) Nevertheless, the pain has subsided a bit; so managed to stand erect. :D

Latha said...

Had I met you after reading the article, I surely would have imagined u in Chappani style.
Anyway, good to learn that the pain has subsided.

S. Ravi Venkatramana said...

Your article brings back all the nostalgic memories of Karur days. I think we had better quality of life in a small town out there. How can we forget Mothi's antics? In fact, Amma was also very much emotionally attached to Mothi.

Padmaja said...

Yes, Ravi. Very true.