Thursday, March 06, 2008

Maha Shivratri



The image of Shiva was never a part of our altar. One probable reason could be we were Vishnu followers. It doesn’t mean that our parents worshipped only Vishnu and the many avatars. The irony was Durga, Ganesha and Muruga found their places in our home whereas neither Shiva nor Linga could. No Rudram or Chamakam were chanted at home and I had never heard them until a few years ago.

But our visits to Shiva temple were quite regular and abhishekams were conducted from time to time. In fact, my parents conducted nagar pratishta in Shiva temple only. I remember how much I liked going to the temple to enjoy the ambience of the big area covered with trees, the big Nandi, Linga, Nayanmars etc. We were advised not to carry even vibhoothi from the temple as it is said, “Shivan sothu kula naasam”. As a young girl, how fascinated I used to be seeing the small idols of nayanmars kept in the line and wondered what on earth they were kept there and why they were the only privileged ones to see Lord Shiva. Well, when I think about them, I could only chuckle.

When we visited Murudeshwar temple near Udipi last July (2007), I was stunned by the beauty, grace and poise of the tall Shiva statue. The temple is constructed in the sea and it is a wonderful sight to see those waves lashing on one side and the Shiva on the other side (see picture above).

Shiva is an embodiment of compassion and love. Whenever I see His picture, I become so humble. The whole universe is at His mercy yet His simplicity makes me realize how petty I am. So, today being Maha Shivratri, I wish to spend my time more usefully that generates positive energy in and around.

Om Namashivaya!

5 comments:

Latha said...

A very nice article on Lord Shiva on a day like today. Shiva's face is so tranquil and He being my faavourite deity, I feel that there is some uniqueness in His face. This is only my view though. I am reminded of those days when I had made several attempts to remain awake the entire night to obtain punya karma. It is also said that if you sleep during the day time the following day, the punyam so accumulated will be wiped away. I have never succeeded in conquering my sleep this day. :(

Padmaja said...

So nice to read your comments. Do not worry - even I am not able to conquer sleep so far. :D

I forgot to add one info - We have never celebrated Shivaratri so far. For us, it was always Vaikunta Ekadasi.

Raj Arumugam said...

Padmaja - I've seen this picture of Siva before but never knew its location.
Good blog.

Yes, on the one hand we know in Hinduism that the Divine manifests itself in many forms, but then we are also bombarded with sectarian bias. I think it's meant to help us to simply stay focused on one's ishta-devata - and this bias is quite healthy as long as it does notitself become a form of attachment.
Om Nama Sivaya

Padmaja said...

Raj,

You have rightly highlighted about one's ishtam. As for me, attachment to the form is well appreciable as it cultivates the purity and unconditional love the ishtam represents. Deriling others' ishtam is what is disgusting.

Thanks for dropping by, Raj.

Radhakrishnan said...

I love Lord Shiva as much as I love Lord Krishna. I never tried to be awake during Shivaratri or Vaikunta Ekadeshi. I always make sure that I am awake at all times.

Thank you Padmaja.