Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Baby smile

Every mother would surely agree upon one thing without fail that the period of pregnancy gives maximum joy and tension in their lives. It is a wonderful feeling to carry a baby in the stomach, for the mother feels doubly responsible for the two lives. The subtle bondage that she develops with the baby cannot be explained in words. However, it is also a period of unrest and tension, for there will be a thought at the backdrop that the baby should be devoid of deformities, both physical and mental.



It’s a sight to see the baby immediately after his/her birth - so beautiful, angelic, pure, and softer than a flower. The big responsibility of raising the baby is well hidden under the bewitching smile, small hands, cute little eyes, soft skin etc.

As far as I am concerned, the best part in a human life is the period of babyhood. Whatever be the baby’s caste, creed, colour, religion, nationality, status etc (can't help saying so as some of these things are recorded in the birth card), one can see the beauty, innocence, trust, faith, grace and love in full measure in each of their looks, moves, smiles and touches. I could never resist the temptation of carrying the tender baby in my arms wherever I am. Even in travelling trains, I would have almost always hugged a baby at least for a second. So too most of the people, I believe.

I remember one small incident that happened in Chennai. It was one of those July vacation days and the place was my in-laws’ house. The maid servant had lots of vessels to clean but she had brought her baby to work. While cleaning, she kept her baby on her lap and started doing her work. I chanced to see her and was moved to see the plight of the young lady. In spite of her shyness and refusal (because of respect for me) and my MIL’s shocking face, I took the baby in hand, came to the front side of the house and started walking up and down. Initially the baby made a fuss about the change of warmth that he felt but slowly settled down in my arms. My MIL came running behind me and requested me to give the baby to her too. Well, we were chatting and entertaining the baby as a team effort. When I gave the baby back to the mother saying, ‘You are really fortunate. Your son is very beautiful and adjusting,’ I saw a mixture of gratitude and pride on her face with a broad innocent smile. Ha.. I felt that the mother too had become a baby at that moment.



The outside knowledge that we accrue so vehemently gives intelligence in abundance but erases innocence in the bargain. There is attraction and appreciation for accumulated intelligence everywhere whereas the inborn innocence is left in the bin deep inside to shine among garbage. There is a judgment passed by every speck of displayed intelligence whereas innocence could understand and express only love, affection and care.

Why do we fail to realise that the manipulating intelligence destroys our peace most of the times?

Why not we give a genuine, warm smile straight from the heart just like the baby does?

Is it not that the Higher Intelligence and Innocence one and the same?

Why do we allow dirt and dust to accumulate in our baby smiles as we grow along with intelligence?

7 comments:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

I just can't agree more. All that you have stated here is true. The period of pregnancy is indeed a wonderful experience.

As you said, every baby is beautiful regardless of where they come from. Their smile is infectious.

I remember you mentioning about your maid's little baby. So kind of you to have helped her with her child. And I have no doubt that the Mother would have felt elated to hear such a remark from you about her son.

Yes, Mothers become babies for some time. I feel that they carry the innocence of the baby until he / she reaches a certain age. I am not sure though. But I have seen new Mothers behaving a little strange when it comes to their newly acquired pride possession. That is nothing but a mixture of responsibilty, pride and love.

"The outside knowledge that we accrue so vehemently gives intelligence in abundance but erases innocence in the bargain. There is attraction and appreciation for accumulated intelligence everywhere whereas the inborn innocence is left in the bin deep inside to shine among garbage." - These words are wonderful with lots of philosophies and findings. I am reminded of a line I read from somehwered - "I was born intelligent. Education ruined me." This appeared to be a crazy joke to me at that time. But now when I read your blog, I feel that it has a meaning. We are bound to acquire more values and morals when we interact with less people. In other words, the outside world that we get exposed is the real villain.

I wish to borrow and retain the innocent smiles that my children possess. The best thing I like about children other than their smiles are their nature of forgetting things much sooner. This is something I need to practice.

A fantastic blog to read early in the morning. Lovely write Paddu!

Padmaja said...

Dear Latha,

There are cases when pregnancy becomes an unwanted issue. There are situations for some when babies become sheer nuisance. There are many husbands who would harass their pregnant wives during this period. There are still some more mothers who knowingly carry their deformed babies in their wombs. I shall reserve all these issues for a later date. I have addressed here only on happy motherhood.

I felt very bad yesterday night how much intelligence do we expect even from a three month old baby. We keep comparing with the peers, get worked up and mutilate the innocence of the babies ruthlessly with our own hands.

It is rare to see both intelligence & innocence in one place. It is either manipulating intelligence that uses others for its selfishness or relenting innocence that loses everything at its stake.

Thanks a lot for cheering my loud thinking. And I know that you will always do.

Love,

Padmaja

Solai Kannan said...

Wonderful!!! The articled sailed from motherhood to innocence of life.

We have covered our naked physical personality with clothes, ornaments, make-ups hiding the true personality. Similarly, we have covered our innocent inner personality with lots of vocabularies as clothes, ornaments and makeups to hide our true innocent childish personality. When we become Nirvana, then we can see the child in us. We think maturity and dignity is pride, but what you write is true that naked innocence is real pride.

Solai Kannan said...

The following paragraph is splendidly sculptured, which deservers separate appreciation. It is not only the philosphy behind those words, but the phrasing of the words makes it sparkling.

"...The outside knowledge that we accrue so vehemently gives intelligence in abundance but erases innocence in the bargain. There is attraction and appreciation for accumulated intelligence everywhere whereas the inborn innocence is left in the bin deep inside to shine among garbage. There is a judgment passed by every speck of displayed intelligence whereas innocence could understand and express only love, affection and care..."

Padmaja said...

@Solai : Wish the world is full of such beautiful smiles and beatic faces.

Thanks for your visit and cheering comments.

Solai Kannan said...

Wouldn't you agree that the world is full of such beautiful smiles and faces only? In my comment, I was talking about myself only. If only I have the innocence I will have no choice but to see only the innocent smiles outside. As you mentioned Higher Intelligence is Innocence, if I have that Innocence, then I can look beyond the smiles on the skin and see their true personality, which is ever smiling innocently. I need to correct myself first.

Padmaja said...

It is the case for me as well, Solai. 'Just be innocent' is the only mantra.