Thursday, March 12, 2009

Assortment of thoughts on the 12 year old

After writing the article ‘Baby smile’ late last night, I went to sleep very late as the left over thoughts were rummaging my being for sometime. Today morning, I was woken up at 4:45 a.m. by Atul with a sweet kiss on my cheek and a baby smile, as he wanted me to help him with his Hindi portions for today’s exams.

Thus a long day awaits me today being a weekend. Reclining my plastered right leg on the tower of pillows most of the times, my movements are restricted. Obviously, the bed is strewn with pillows, blanket, books, mobile, phone, laptop and of course me on the edge.

Atul has been very kind to me during this time of trial - ‘Do you want this?’, ‘Don’t walk too much…’, ‘I shall bring water for you.’ ‘Please be careful..’ etc etc. He sets the table, clears it after eating, washes utensils too if need be and helps himself from the kitchen when hungry. But he also proves to be a child.

Even on the crowded bed, Atul fights for his share of pillows and blanket. In fact, he wants to use only those I am using. He wants to sleep with me at night and doesn’t want to understand that his one hard kick would jeopardize my leg. He gets thousands of doubts which need to be cleared with his friends urgently only when I am on phone. He is bored and wants to play games on the laptop only when I am seriously reading or writing something. He trails me wherever I go and sits in front of me.

Every time every day there is a big war of words between us but they are all momentary and meaningless. I know that he cannot take my silence, for he cries like a baby if I declare so. He is full of life unlike me. With cricket on TV on one side, ‘Jai Ho’ (at present) on laptop on the other side, hand swishing the cricket bat or tennis racket, speaking phone every now and then, he claims that he is studying studiously for annual exams. Sometimes, he uses ‘Sing Star’ for relaxation and sings those evergreen songs merrily.

He is bored of seeing the spiritual books around me and pressurizes me to read Harry Potter. He is successful though in thrusting me in this aspect. He wants to go to a school like Hogwarts during summer holidays, swish his magic wand and learn those simple tricks. His eyes glitter with excitement when he talks about the world of magic.

Well, he is a part of ‘awesome threesome’ who have conceived and written a book called FINDERS’ FOUR. A blog on this is long pending from me which I’ll do once they publish the book. In fact, even in this period of exams, he and his friend, Adi find time to think of writing and tuning a song all on their own in Adi’s guitar.

There are more to write, of course. He is making my life’s moments bright, beautiful and wonderful. In a subtler way, he makes me realise that God has been very kind to me. I do not wish to own him or possess him. I do not wish to thrust my opinions or dreams on him.

I always remember Kahlil Gibran’s words…

Your children are not your children
They are sons and daughters of life’s longing for itself
They come through you but not from you


I want him to dream on his own and enjoy his life as he wants to be. But I would be glad if he makes a positive difference in at least one life in his lifetime and be a contributor in a small way to the society that he is indebted to and the world he is kindly absorbed into.

7 comments:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Please accept my credits for writing one of the most wonderful posts! I really enjoyed reading it by visualising about all that you have written.

Atul is undoubtedly a sweet boy carrying the innocence of a child. Yes, he is still a child and I wish he always remains a child.

The paragraph mentioning how he claims to study for the final exams really made me laugh. All said and done, isn't he still a topper in his class. So let us let him study his way. When the results are much to your favour, your mouth is plastered, is it not?

To retain him as a single child was your choice I guess. So you will be cornered from all angles since you are the only one available in the house with him to play. Be prepared to answer all his questions, read his books, play cricket or football with him and have a pillow fight with him. Ten years down the line, you cannot even imagine any of the above happening.

All the best to Atul, his dreams and your aspirations!

Padmaja said...

Thanks a lot, Latha.

There could be no greater joy than your child chasing and fulfilling his/her dreams and start dreaming of still higher things.

Anonymous said...

Dear Padmaja,
Very nice article.
As u said when i study for the exams i also used to hear the songs,TV will be on,and my sincere
studies will also continue.

I am very happy to see one more of my type!!!

S. Ravi Venkatramana said...

Dear Padmaja,

Besides the assortment of thoughts on Atul, I think it reflects your aspirations for him.

I wish to quote my favourite lines from Gibran -

"You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable."

Atul, for sure, knows it well. You don't need to have any second thought of assortment of any kind :-)

- Ravi

Padmaja said...

@Ravi - What lines they are! Cannot forget them that easily.

No more second thoughts, of course. :)

Padmaja said...

@Prakashi : I know you always approve of his every act as he is moulded of your type. :D

Elanchezhiyan said...

Ha......ha. so nice. Sabash sariyana potti.