Thursday, November 19, 2009

A few updates

This August, we bought a bigger TV as the old TV had its fair share of duty with us. The old TV is not disposed yet.

Three days back, my house help hesitatingly asked me, “Madamji, will you give me your old TV?”

I was busy cooking lunch at that time and instantly turned around to see her.

She continued, “Money no problem, Madamji! I will give you.”

I felt so touched. Yet I asked her, “How much do you think you can give?”

“I will give BD 20/-, Madamji!”

I told Balaji about her need, he agreed to give it for free. When I told her that she need not pay anything, she was happy that we consented for the TV but she said again in her broken English, “No, Madamji! Taking free anything, no good….” She repeated two more times with her big trademark smile.

I was awed. I listened.

“My husband will come and take it on 27th and will pay the money, Madamji.”

She appeared great in my eyes. In this world, we are so used to seeing people who grab every opportunity and use their tactics if they can get anything for free – even food.

This young girl has a list of problems to narrate, ranging from personal to money problems. Yet she doesn’t want anything for free.

Many appear educated in the society. In reality, only a rare few are educated. She is one.

* * * * * * *

“I am going out for lunch with kids. Are you coming with me?”

The familiar voice on my mobile surprised me. And it was a genuine invitation. Yes, it was a call from my dear friend from Abu Dhabi who gave surprise visit to us this Diwali after hearing of my illness. In fact, I was lazily roaming inside the kitchen at that time. I was elated, for it is the thought of concern that matters the most.

I am really fortunate to have such a great friend.

* * * * * * *

We three were having dinner together yesterday night. Balaji was telling me that our CBE house would become costlier to maintain as the committee has decided to strengthen the security of the Gardens but at a heavy cost.

In the midst of conversation, I told Balaji, “See…. I wanted to tell you something.’

“What?”

“I am not comfortable with the decision of putting electrical fencing.”

He was blinking…. “Where?”

“Around the compound.”

“Why?”

“Whatever it is, electricity of even minimum voltage would give shock to people.”

“Which people?”

“Whoever crosses the compound?”

“You mean thief?”

“Yes.”

Both father and son burst into laughter that I am too concerned about the thieves.

I am concerned about all those hundreds of residents and tenants no doubt. But my feeling was also genuine.

Pray no thief tresspass the compound.

* * * * * * *

4 comments:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

I am equally moved with your domestic helper's gesture. You are right. We live in a world where people make use of every opportunity to steal away things from others. When compared to this, what a great culture does she hold!

I am glad that you were elated over my call. Yes, I wanted you with me today. Hoping to have lunch with you sometime (very soon).

Paddu, I am touched by your feelings towards theives. I wouldn't do such things I guess. You are proving every moment that you are much higher than a normal person.

Incidentally, I discussed with my husband last night, that I am not able to hold the same percentage of determination every day. I also told him that every morning, I am feeling the urge to be motivated. Do you know what his answer was? He said, "Do not think of any common people. If you think about them, you will definitely be discouraged. Think about people above you, like Padmaja. You will be constantly motivated."

What more should I say now? :)

Padmaja said...

Dearest Latha,

We are sure to dine together very soon. Let's leave it to the Almighty to decide the date and time.

I am devoid of words at your husband's words. Now, this has become another motivation for me to be more determined. Btw, you are a highly determined lady as far as I know. Remember this always and waver not.

Love,

Padmaja

Veda Sundar said...

Dear Padmaja,
My concern is more for some stray animals that may accidentally come in contact with the fencing.
Latha is truly a dignified and honorable woman. It is rare to find a person like her.

Padmaja said...

Dear Veda,

I too agree with you. Cats & birds who have the habit of sitting on the compound wall may feel the pinch.

Both Lathas (my friend and help) are indeed worthy of your praise. :)

Thanks for dropping by and leaving your valuable comments.

Love,

Padmaja