Thursday, November 05, 2009

Nothing matters

The hustle bustle of the day’s work was over. I was thoroughly exhausted.

As I was about to settle down for my night reading for inspiration, I was captivated by the blue & white combination that I saw from the bedroom window. Generally, Bahrain’s sky is one of the most disillusioned ones as it is rare to see stars or clouds at any point of the year. Hence it was a sight for me.

I mentally pushed aside the charms of ‘The Power of NOW’, opened the window fully and sat on a chair resting my arms on the sill. Those half an hour…

I watched the white clouds chasing something fast… no faster… I didn’t want to even get up and wear my glasses to correct my short sight as the large motion picture was clearly seen.

I turned my gaze towards the busy Exhibition Avenue, Jasmis, moving cars, people crossing the open ground…

At those rare seemingly satoric moments, there was no pain or joy, no remembrance of failures or successes, no reminders on duties or commitments, no thoughts on relationships, no fears on losing, no intellectual analysis, no expectations from anything or anybody, no worries on my imperfections, no questions on the many whys, no philosophical conclusions, no reasonings…

I became speechless.

I could not sit beyond a point. The humidity in the atmosphere and the buzzing of ACs from the neighbouring houses made me feel very hot. I closed the window and saw through the glass. I watched the chasing clouds against the stagnant blue sky and the fast moving cars on the road again.

I moved out of the window now as my mind and body were reminding me of the unbearable heat.

I switched ON the AC, picked up the book and started reading….

“The world arises when consciousness takes on shapes and forms, thought forms and material forms. Look at the million of life forms on this planet alone. In the sea, on land, in the air – and then each life form is replicated millions of times. To what end? Is someone or something playing a game, a game with form? This is what the ancient seers of India asked themselves. They saw the world as lila, a kind of divine game that God is playing. The individual life forms are obviously not very important in this game.”

I closed my eyes, finished my night prayers and dozed off to sleep in the next couple of minutes.

I felt divine in the morning.

I realise that nothing matters.

Yes. No thing really matters.

1 comment:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

In this vast cosmos, we are a tiny insignificant spot. As you say, nothing matters. Nothing really matters. You are absolutely right.