Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Prince Charming and my English

The homework given in the English class on Saturday is simply superb. Though I could not attend that day, I was rejoicing at the very mention of fairytales and the assignment. Here is what the homework is...

The 5 children of the class have to rewrite the story of Cinderella from the stepmother's point of view and the 5 adults from the Prince's point of view. As for our (adults) assignment, the rewriting is split into 5 parts - introduction, announcement of the ball, arrangements, the ball and conclusion. I am given the part of 'conclusion'.

So, here goes my part which I would read out in today's class... You too read my imagination and enjoy. :)))

//
The Prince stood transfixed. He was unable to believe that his princess could slip away from his hands so easily, in exactly the same moment he was about to propose to her in a dramatic way. How long and hard he had planned for the moment! Even in this state of utter dejection, he appeared so charming, true to his name.

He could not sleep the whole night. He remembered the guards muttering feebly at the palace entrance that she appeared like a country girl as she fled. To add fuel to his restlessness, no one in the ball could guess who she was and where she came from. Indeed he was engulfed totally in the flame of love. Not a moment of cinders left for him.

Tossing and turning, he recited within the whole night, ‘O my sweetheart! Beauty I have seen in plenty but your magnetic grace I have not. Rich or poor I don’t care but you would hear my heart beat when you are near… Know that you are the only lady love of my life. I know… I know that this slipper is a smart clue that you have given me to reach your doorstep. I shall not rest till I find you dear. Here I come, here I come…’

The next morning, the tired Prince Charming ordered his guards to be ready to accompany him. He also made an announcement that whoever fitted into the slipper perfectly would become his princess of life. Alas! As days passed, none could fit in perfectly much to his disappointment. However, he was a man of determination & will and hence he was not to lose heart so soon.

At last, his chariot arrived at Cinderalla’s villa. His heart started beating very fast unusually. He felt that he was surrounded by a mysterious feeling as if somebody was whispering into his ears ‘I am here, I am here…’. He climbed down his chariot with glee and entered into the villa with the slipper in hand.

The beautifully dressed up stepsisters ran forward in greediness to own him but the slipper was not kind though. And the Prince Charming was not distracted by any. He asked them again and again if there were any other in the villa as his heart could not go wrong.

There he saw a young graceful girl walking in rags to try out the slipper. Much to the astonishment of all, her left foot fitted into the glass slipper perfectly as her hands produced the missing pair from inside her gown.

As she looked at him with love, he recognised in that poor girl the same beautiful woman who had stolen his heart on the day of ball. He realized then that he had become complete with her.

Holding her elegant hand, he led her to his palace. The Prince Charming and Princess Cindarella lived happily ever after.



Swaying to the lilting music of life
They danced round and round with love
Even when they became very old
He in her hands and she into his
Locked for ever in body & spirit
Never to part even in dreams

Standing from the state of heavenly bliss
They peep into the presently world
Descending from the realm above
To teach us of love and joy eternal
Here they come, here they come
Hand in hand here they come

//

Thanks a lot, Rekha for bringing out the child in me. :)

1 comment:

Latha said...

"I know that this slipper is a smart clue that you have given me to reach your doorstep. I shall not rest till I find you dear. Here I come, here I come…’"

"The beautifully dressed up stepsisters ran forward in greediness to own him but the slipper was not kind though."

Stunning expression! Am I seeing a come back, Padmaja? I really loved the above lines. I am eagerly looking forward to hearing your class' comments upon reading this wonderful write-up. Accolades to the organisers of this class too on my behalf, for having made you all think in an entirely different way. I am eager to hear about the kids' contributions too. I am sure they would do well too.

"Standing from the state of heavenly bliss
They peep into the presently world
Descending from the realm above
To teach us of love and joy eternal
Here they come, here they come
Hand in hand here they come"

And here comes the great writer Padmaja, who was missing for some time. Here she comes with magic in her hands and poesy in her lips.