Monday, October 24, 2011

Dawn

it was already yet dark was the status outside.

The whole flight was silent except for its loud moving buzz. And in its middle, one reading light was ON shedding light on the reader’s book.

I was drop dead tired before boarding the flight for Bahrain and hence my eyes were bickering for some rest. But the emotional wheel set in by the book I was deeply immersed in had consumed my being. Of course, it was a long pending book that needed my attention - ‘A Thousand Splendid Suns’.

Amidst the soaring highs and snoring noises in the plane, my throat was choking and eyes shedding tears. I simply could not bear the amount of physical & emotional punctures thrust on Mariam.

Why are women considered only as objects of carnal pleasures? Why do most men show their fists to establish their superiority? When will we understand that the system of marriage is designed to complement our spiritual endeavours?

Mariam & Laila could successfully rise from the rudder of brutal & barbaric societal pressures in their own way as per the book but there are many, many suffering Mariams and Lailas out there who could not be individually detected behind the veils of national face and dreadful statistics on life & death.

The next day morning, with the burning throat and breaking body pain with a tinge of fever, I watched the rising Sun from the sea in all its glory from our present 8th floor balcony. My heart paused for a moment at the splendid performance of the Sun again.

The Sun had played a beautiful golden trick on the Bahrain backwaters as if the sea and the Sun are one and the same hiding its detached shining armour & glory.

On this special occasion of Diwali, I pray that each one of us understand that the festival of lights reminds us to carry light always and spread it to the whole world.

May the next dawn be beautiful for us all wiping out all boundaries which deny our right to shine!

May we learn to explore the magical touch of love!

Happy Diwali!

2 comments:

prakashika said...

The rising Sun is always beautiful as u said.
I will also read the book and post my comments.

prakashika said...

Dear Padmaja,
I started studying the book.:)