Saturday, November 25, 2006

Krishna, my beloved

O Wind, here is a request from an old dame
Kind and generous you are in this world of name
Please carry my story to my beloved without fail
Waiting am I for an answer with a wail
Sure you too would shed tears hearing my tale
For his acts were nothing short of gale

I was innocent and fresh as a flower
Knew not anything of fame or power
Played merrily with peals of laughter
Balanced my acts of duty with less chatter
Looked around suddenly as I extended my wing
Only to be carried away by this charming king

With a singing tone he entered into my den
Looked into my eyes even in a group of ten
Black is he yet he made me stumble at his feet
Cornering me he spoke tales of his feat
Laden with love he approached me to hold
Thrilled was I as I saw one who was bold

He is very black and I am only fair
His beauty radiated even my hearty lair
He is all-knowing and I am only dunce
But his compassion made me at ease at once
His eyes are expressive but mine are very dull
Yet they spoke his love for me in a lull

He is full of fun while I am such a bore
Yet he had lots to share piled in his store
He had married many and I am married too
Yet he comforted that love only counts in what I do
He had many lovers but I had none at my stake
He came behind this fool only to take

My life too blossomed all of a sudden
For he kissed my tears in my dreams even
My duties mocked me from a distance
They appeared too worldly in my own stance
I longed to be with this boy leaving everything
Yet I had my duties to keep me in my ring

I blushed when he stamped me as innocent
Grieved when I failed to see his face pleasant
Laughed when he cracked jokes in an instant
Contented when I saw him even for a moment
Wondered when he displayed his unmatched strength
Cried a lot when he did not speak to me in length

On the fateful day, he flew away from my tent
Leaving me with memories only to lament
Can you locate him from wherever he is hiding?
O Wind, explain to him my soulful tears that are flowing
Be careful in identifying my beloved correctly
Deliver my message of love whose heart pine longingly
My people are ever vigilant about my craziness
So secretly deliver this message but only in hastiness

Tell him I am disturbed terribly by his eyes
Remembering his lips that never told lies
Was tripped by his beauty that is black to behold
As he stole my heart by his song of flute in his fold
Am unable to eat even a morsel of food in distress
Also hate to beautify as I care for myself less

Heard that he is still a man of fun
Does he not remember our days of pun?
If at all he wanted to leave me for ever
Why should he play with my feelings ever?
I am equally blamed for I was also a part of this clandestine love
Yet he too is answerable to calls of this love

Tell him I want to meet him only once
Tell my woes of separation that burns me since
Tell him of the madness of my present state
Tell him I know only to think of him of late
Tell him of my tales of cries for his welfare
Tell him I have forgotten about myself in this life of warfare

Shake him to answer his lady love who is sad
Find out at least if he recollects me who is mad
Do you know O wind, that only women face the brunt?
Is he not a testimony to attest my statement?
I may die of his separation as I am unable to bear
No, no, if I die the world would talk bad of my dear
I see him only as he has filled my mind and heart
Hear from me, I begin my day only with a painful start

Hesitate not, for my words are nothing but truth
Convey my undying love to my boy of blithe
What should I do now as I really do not know?
Ah! Let him answer for he is my Lord before whom I bow
So what, is he not my beloved who is only mine
There is no me or he in my love and pain

Yet this wisdom does not dawn on me quite often
My tearful eyes wait longingly for a union
Hear this secret that my beloved is my all in this life
Though my body is highly duty bound as a wife
What else can I do I know not as he ignores this stupid?
Yet my language and knowledge is only love for my beloved

No comments: