Wednesday, December 06, 2006

My autobiography (in a scrambled form)

Lazily I am lying in the corner of the lane
With my eyes closed thinking of my past in reels
In black and white it whirled off in action
Taking me as a helpless victim in that trodden realm

Brown is my colour so say these humans
Born in the street I was deserted very soon
Wandered a lot for want of food
Fighting for it with your homeless boys and girls

Many a day I starved as a little puppy
I grew this tall only in the midst of brawls
Scratches and wounds I have in plenty
To win a small piece of bone taken from the bin

After many ordeals and sleepless nights
I chose this place few days back to settle down
No naughty boys here to hurt me with stones
Also, I get a shade in rain and sun somehow

Fever and pains visit me often mercilessly
Making me drain and cry in solitude
No doc treats me for my physical weaknesses
And none to think of my welfare in kindness

My life is one big challenge every day
Street urchins find me irresistible to kick
What with prowls of animals & men around
To hurt me more than to fondle my feelings

I am vigil in the nights for no reason
Bark in high pitch during those dark phases
Faces I see little but smell I do a lot
That’s the strongest point out of my miserable lot

Anything that we don’t have are worshipped always
Is that the reason why humans glorify love always
Look at me, I don’t have anyone for me till date
Still I am loyal and loving to one who gives me food

You people brutally killed my friends in China
Fifty thousand in number, they say so
I fear if such madness affect here too
I have none to protect and nowhere to hide

You mock me as a mere five sensed animal
But I wonder at your wizardry of sixth sense
Killing your own brethren for selfish motives
Brewing with vengeance and jealousy inside

My eleven years of life is gone already
What with my friends and mates discarding me
I am tired of all these in my life now
How I wish for a caring hand before I die

I have no name to introduce myself
After all I am an old, ugly street dog
Sure my soul will leave the world without any log
Oh God! Please tell me why am I born

See those doggies inside the gates of houses
Being hugged and pampered by their masters
How much I yearn to be loved unconditionally by someone
After all, I too have a tender heart of my own


[Written in August 2006 condemning the ruthless killings of 50,000 dogs in China through the eyes of a homeless dog]

Published in Gulf Daily News in September 2006

No comments: