Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Where is my papa?

Back from school at four
I reclined on the chair
Snacks I ate with relish
Only to run out to meet my friends

My mama gave a loud cry at six
To caress my books for a while
My teachers stood in queue
In my dreams with a stick in hand

Everybody praises my memory power
For my smart recollection of numbers
I am through with my papa’s & mama’s
And devouring even my friends too

All of a sudden I remembered
To prepare a project on animals
I tried calling on my father
To bring those stickers on his way home

There was no answer for my calls
Was he busy with his office work
Upset terribly, I consoled myself
To call him a little later with a raised voice

Watched TV for sometime
But my project was lingering in my mind
My mama stroked my hair fondly
To ease my tension in distress

It’s already eight by then
My mama too got angry with my papa
For his addiction to office work
And negligence of his family in total

She put me to sleep so early that day
With a pat that she would handle my Miss the next day
Gone was I to the other worlds
In her cosy embrace and warmth of love

I woke up the next day so fresh
Shocked to see my mama crying in the middle
With lots of people around her
I went to her worrying about the animal stickers

They told me not to go to school
I was happy to stay back home with my mama
My eyes were searching for my dear papa
I am a six year old girl of my papa

Do you all know the truth
I am my papa’s girl throughout
His laughs and jokes I enjoy the most
Wonder always at my papa’s lovely personality

My mama was crying her heart out
But why was he not here to pacify her
Let me go and sit on my mama’s lap
As I was comfortable there in this crowd

Please let me know where is my papa
I want him to know how much we cried
I want him to cuddle his darling daughter
I want him to be back with us for ever

I miss you papa very, very much
Life is not the same sweet melody any more
Do you know papa, mama has gone thin so much
And her beauty seems lost for ever

When are you going to see us papa
With your wit and charm to mesmerize us
Today I have come with a trophy from school
I am your daughter only throughout

I cannot bear the separation from you
With a hug, I want to tell you a secret
That I love you the most in this world
Please come back soon, my dear papa
Please come back soon, my dear papa


[Written in July 2006 dedicating it to the victims and their families of 11/7 bomb attacks of Mumbai]

No comments: