Thursday, April 03, 2008

A week of wonderful moments

Thanks to my generous husband for sponsoring our trip to Cochin, Atul and I along with other members of our group, left Bahrain on March 21, 2008. Ah! I forgot to mention about the camp, is it not? It's a week-long spiritual camp organized by Chinmaya Society, Bahrain from 21-28 March, 2008 at Chinmaya International Foundation, Adi Shankara Nilayam, Veliyanad, a couple of hours drive from Cochin Airport.

With our limited bags and baggage, 14 children and 7 sevikas boarded Jet Airways flight in the morning hours of 21st March, displaying our blue jacket and ID cards attracting attention of passers-by and even immigration authorities, both at Bahrain and Cochin.

On 22nd March, 2008, we all played Holi in the ashram.
Having gone to Cochin, life is a waste if one hadn’t enjoyed Alleppey’s boat cruise… We went for a boat ride on 23rd March morning and were served hot appam and stew by in-house crew. The bedrooms were inviting to lie down but our team was more involved in dancing and singing. With my left knee pain, I enjoyed watching their performances with peals of laughter.

See the heaven on earth…… I was supposed to have reached heaven (or hell???) by now but still alive by His grace. We were walking on a low wall which separated the deep backwaters on one side and plush green trees on the other side, to drink tender coconut. In order to avoid straining my left knee, I kept a wrong foot and lo! instantly I fell on the right side (ground part). Had my fall been in the water, I would have viewed the sea world at least once ‘live’ before dissolving in the cosmos for ever! The simple reason is, I don’t know swimming. :D



Also visited Chottanikara devi temple (Did I cry seeing the Divine Mother? Yes, I did inwardly and uncontrollably) and one Vishnu temple and a Shiva temple. Temples in Kerala are so different from TN or North Indian temples. One needs to be fit and fine healthwise to pay a visit.

On 26th, we all made a visit to ashram gardens and did tree plantations as well. The pledge was taken by the sevikas to maintain the spirit.

In the evening of 27th March, we had valedictory function and cultural program. I was the M.C. (hehehe…). The kids performed a skit ‘Be Victorious’, ‘Dandiya dance’, Vedic Chanting, Bhajans, Presentation of Values etc.

Along with the above, we all learnt Vedic texts, bhajans, dasavatharam stothrams & stories etc. Children experienced a glimpse of ashram life and synchronized themselves perfectly with the atmosphere [Footwear to be arranged in order, chanting of slokas before and after food, washing of one’s plate, cups and glasses to be taken care of them, availability of food only at the ringing of bell, chanting of sloka to improve memory power, meditation on breathing etc etc].

Enjoyment is fine. But have I carried the values with me? Hope I am honest when I answer ‘yes’ to this question one day.

Finally, to spice up, Atul was flying high since 27th evening as soon as he got the message from his Dad that he stood first in his class. It was a pat on my back as well, for I too have studied equally with him. :D

8 comments:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

It is indeed nice to get a glimpse of what fun you all went through last week through these wonderful photos. It is also nice to note that kids learnt a lot through this spiritual camp. It is true that these kinds of activities leave a deeper mark in children's mind than our minds.

I am happy that you could finally participate in this camp after a prolonged indecisiveness whether you will be able to make it or not.

Radhakrishnan said...

It is a very wonderful event. Thank you for sharing this wonderful moments with us. I wish I do oneday go to a trip like this and lost myself. It is absolutely brilliant to read vedic and have some experience in ashrama culture. You thoroughly enjoyed this trip though your bad knee prevents you to dance.

Boat trip, tree planting are worth to remember and one day when you go back to the same place, the tree will make you happy.

Amazing Padmaja. All the photos are superb. Congratulations to Atul once again.

S. Ravi Venkatramana said...

Dear Padmaja,

Wow! It is a journey well travelled, time well spent and the learnings are worth a lifetime. I am sure you would remember this for a very long time. Hope Atul sustains the values he had learnt in this one week.

Talking of planting trees, our balcony too has turned a lot greener. We have a number of plants we are taking care of ;-)

- Ravi

Padmaja said...

Latha,

I thought of dedicating a separate blog on those tense moments awaiting my RP & re-entry visa. Now when I look back, they appear so entertaining. :) When I get the full set of photos, I shall post some more here.

Padmaja said...

Radha,

Not only could I couldn't dance, I was about to fall in the deep waters as well because of my knee. It's only God's Grace that I'm still alive - hale and healthy. Something is holding me onto this world still.

Padmaja said...

Ravi,

Glad to see you here. Yes, we enjoyed very much.

I am dying to visit Mumbai and spend time with you and Amma. Probably, in August we can meet.

Raj Arumugam said...

Padmaja - looks like you've enjoyed yourself tremendously and the whole week has been deeply meaningful.

The pictures are informative and - ironically -it looks like the sevikas have had more fun the kids!

I love the picture of the waters and the trees...Lovely.

Padmaja said...

Haha! Yes, Raj. We did enjoy but the kids too had their share of fun. Thanks for your visit.