Monday, August 11, 2008

A few overflowing words from the brain

The 40 day trip to India (28th June to 8th Aug) was a truly memorable one. Some of the crisscrossed thoughts…

1) I could not imagine any water shortage in Mumbai. Monsoons are a must for this highly populated city. There seems to be some slackness in nature these days. No, it cannot be. It is because of man’s abuse towards nature’s wealth.

2) Mother says that I know nothing and that I don’t know how to handle myself. She is absolutely right. But am I not too old to learn at this age?

3) On the flip side, a couple of my friends think that I have an attitude problem arising out of intellectual puffiness. They too may be right. I have become more cautious of my conversational skills these days though I don’t find any intellectual acumen in me.

4) To keep a watch on my words and thoughts at least for a limited time in a week, I have decided to resume my silence on Thursdays till 1 p.m. Need to isolate myself from TV, computer, phone calls, reading, writing etc and avoid meeting people if possible during this period. But what will I do during this time?

5) Meet with my Uncle was one of the best things that had happened during this vacation. I become emotional when I think of my Shirdi trip. My Uncle has gifted me with the Satcharita (complete version) which has already become a part of my daily reading.

6) I realized that I am rebellious and submissive at wrong times. Am I hopeless to rectify?

7) When the middle aged female companion during my return train journey from Coimbatore to Mumbai told me that she took care of her paralytic mother-in-law for 15 years (as passing information and not with the intention of boasting of her service), I was awed. Greatness is more found in people of less education than the wizards. After all, no education can be greater than kindness and pure attitude of service. She had not crossed even 10th standard and got married at the age of 16 years.

8) Rajasthan tour was highly refreshing. Palaces and forts of Jaipur, Udaipur and Jodhpur – they are true architectural marvels. Employees of these palaces were a sight to see as their uniforms were traditional costumes. Some of the points that I wish to share…

• The man who took us for an elephant ride at Amber Fort had a story to say that his son was brutally killed a few years back by some vandals. He was only of Atul’s age at that time it seems. And he is managing his two kids now as his wife too has died. He had refused all offers of remarriage considering his children’s welfare.
• When we got bored of the hep restaurants, we barged into the roadside dhabas and ate our food with flies around. The food was delicious though our palate longed for home food like idli, dosa, sambar, rasam etc. It is difficult to eat rotis and highly spiced sabjis for three times a day. I realized that I too have lots of preferences. 
• Pushkar lake seemed pure and holy. Couples of all nationalities can offer their prayers and sankalp for the deceased family members here. It was a sight to see foreigners chanting Sanskrit slokas diligently. But one has to be very cautious with these pandits as they have the knack of extracting money in the name of charity. The only Brahma temple of the world is in Pushkar and I was slightly disappointed with the hygiene over there. But the hotel where we were accommodated was absolutely fantastic.
• Udaipur’s man-made Fateh Sagar lake is built with the outline of India map, as was told by the guide. We took a boat ride, went to the Jawaharlal Nehru Park, took a few snaps with the local costume. Enjoyed from a distance the glitter of the aristocratic Jagdish temple and the luxurious Lake Palace, both situated in the waters. However, The City Palace is huge and the collections are massive. I could not stop marveling the lifestyle of the Rajput Kings & Queens.
• Mount Abu has nothing new to offer except quietude. It is famous because it is the only hill resort of Rajasthan.
• At Jodhpur, a passer-by was kind enough not only to give directions how to go to RTDC but also identified our car when we were roaming in the streets blindly while he was returning home and took us there personally. What a hospitality the people of Rajasthan had exhibited throughout consistently!
• Jodhpur Fort is something that I may not forget for a long time. It is raw, huge, real & tough bringing the battles in front of my eyes.
• It is sad that we could not cover Jaisalmer and Bikaner.
• My belief that Rajasthan is full of desert is shattered when I saw the breathtaking mountains and drizzling rains. A beautiful place with rich cultural heritage and major tourist attraction it is, the state has to improve a lot as one can see the difference between rich and poor clearly.

9) On our return to Delhi from Jaipur, I managed to pick-up the much sought after book ‘The Holy Science’ in a motel art gallery. It is a miracle according to me as I lost all hopes of getting the same this time also, before leaving for Bahrain.

Overall, my India trip was good, nourishing, enriching and educative.

Now all that requires is a transformation to become a refined, diplomatic self and a growing spiritual personality.

7 comments:

Elanchezhiyan said...

Good experience.....Welcome back..........

Latha said...

Padmaja, it is really nice to see a post from you after a long time. I was stunned to see the transformations the trip has brought about in you and I am happy too for them.

True, rains are essential. But Tamil Nadu is jinxed that way. It enjoyed minimal rains this time.

I wouldn't agree to what your Mom said since I know your capability much better than you. We all can handle things all by ourselves when situation demands. But believe me, life is a continuous school of learning and that period of learning never ends. We can learn anything at any point of our life.

If we change our attitude based on the comments that people give us, then we have to keep changing every minute of the day. People are experts in identifying other's mistakes. So ignore them and walk in your path. We are the best judge of ourselves. Nobody knows about us better than us. That makes us special isn't it?

Well, observing 'Mouna Vrath' is totally your choice but to me, I feel that control of tongue is best done when it is held the moment it gets prompted to speak and not by announcing that one is going to observe vrath that may prevent people from approaching them.

I am glad that you could meet your Uncle this time and benefit a temple visit due to that.

As I said, we are our own judges. The moment we realise our mistake, we win. Once we come over it, we can rejoice.

True. Academic knowledge might not always fetch the manners and etiquette that our life itme warrants. Most of the uneducated lot in India have already proved that they are way beyond us in the merit list of God.

I was amazed myself to see the magnificent structures of Rajasthan. Exotic locations!! A must place to visit I guess.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Padmaja said...

@Latha

Thanks for your exhaustive feedback. Here are some clarifications...

* Agree with you that life is a continuous learning process. In fact, no two similar problems can have similar solutions. But it is also a fact that I am immature at many times and I need to improve immensely.

* I cannot change and need not change myself based on the opinions of others. But all that I need to practise is to be conscious of what I speak, which is very good for my personal growth. Hope you agree with me.

* My intention of mauna vrath is not only to control my words but also to have a check on my thoughts. I want to be aware of the the different colours of m wandering thoughts when I don't give any work to the sense of speech and mind . :) I may continue this for years or months or weeks or days. At present, my inner voice says to do it.

* You must visit Rajasthan at least once. It is one of the must-see places of India.

Shall try to maintain the spirit in writing. :)

Padmaja said...

@Elanchezhiyan - Thanks.

Raj Arumugam said...

Hi Padmaja
A refreshing blog....Loved your
thoughts on yourself and on your tour....
On the subject of yourself, the very wise Latha, the very Padmaja-knowledgeable Latha, seems to have dealt with you very well and expertly - and every pleasantly...

Love your comments on your travels...very interesting reading...and yum...idilis...tosays...chutneys...yum...

Welcome back, Padmaja....

Raj Arumugam said...

An additional thought, Padmaja.

Mauna viratha is all right but it implies control and tension.
You refer to wanting to 'check on my thoughts' and 'control my words'.
This form of control, Padmaja, implies tension and tension brings
in more discord.
Observing one's thoughts is different. Try it - rather than controlling one's thoughts. Do think carefully about the word observe and what it means.
Just observe. There is no tension. There is no critic. There is no guilt. Just the thoughts, and observing them. No labeling and commentary on what is observed.
Try it and see what happens.
Is the difference between observer and the observed still there?
Is conflict there, as compared to say control of thoughts?


My apologies if all this sounds pompous.

Padmaja said...

@Raj - What a pleasant surprise! Am very happy to see your comments on my blog. :)

Regarding mauna vrath, I think I have written 'watch on my words and thoughts' and have used 'control' for words as I really need to control words at times before spilling them out. :) I fully agree with you regarding observation technique. Observing one's thoughts is the best way and it is not possible to control the mind.

Thanks for your visit once again and hope to see you more. :)

Cheers,

Padmaja