Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Multiplication table

I am glad not to be a part of yesterday’s fiasco. Ask me why? Yesterday was Akshaya Tritiya. Let me assure you that this blog is not to offend people but is a resultant action of some loud thinking. Let me also assure you that I do believe in festivals.

For many years, I’ve seen people madly rushing towards gold shops. They insist that at least a gram of gold is purchased on that day. During my ignorant days/years, I had always thought why God should be so biased to earmark just one day for prosperity. When I understood the significance, I could not stop but pity those who could not. It is sad that people limit their thoughts only to gold.

Why do we also not think in terms of improving and sharing our knowledge or multiplying our acts of charity at least on this day? Why not we pray to God to increase our good and noble thoughts in manifold?

Strangely, Akshaya Tritiya has already become synonymous with gold. I am glad to realise that I had not limited myself in terms of gold so far even once, especially on this day.

I wouldn’t want to identify myself as one in future too. It is only my view though.

5 comments:

Latha said...

Is this not enough to prove that religion can be altered to our convenience? :)

Padmaja said...

Very true, Latha. :)

Elanchezhiyan said...

Different views.......good. Even I don't like purchasing golds.But recently I heard that India's managing financial situation is due to Indians gold purchasing habit and and their stock.(One of the reason only).

Padmaja said...

Buying gold as an investment when the rate is low is a wise decision. But buying gold irrespective of the rate on one particular day as auspicious - I have nothing to say more except that I respect their sentiments.

The Dingbat said...

It's a crazy thing right? :) How we contort special occasions to suit our selfish desires? :D
Mom says Akshaya Trithi is a day for giving. :)

Love,
Anitha