Thursday, April 30, 2009

How much time?

Desires and dreams are parts of a human life, so we all know. While these two big Ds seem to possess the power of shattering all boundaries of sanity, it is ironic to realise that dreams vapour up into nothingness without the touch of desires. Now, the curious question arises - where do these dreams reside and how many desires constitute one dream?

Last Friday we had organized a movie viewing at our residence for the chyks. The movie chosen was – “The 36th Chamber of Shaolin”. With my fractured foot, I was all appreciation for San Te who learns the martial art, Kung Fu from the monks of Shaolin Temple, to start with his fractured leg. One needs great determination, willpower and single pointed goal to cross those 35 chambers one by one in such a short span of time. The goal here was his dream to learn Kung Fu and the desire behind it was to throw away the cruel Manchu rulers. San Te was a success because he had one desire and hence one dream.

But a human life has a big reservoir of desires and hence dreams keep changing as the grouping of desires continues with different combinations. Out of these, many are directed towards sanity or insanity; higher or lower; grand or trivial; attitude of service or selfishness.

Suppose I opt to build my goal on one dream i.e. a life of divinity, I’ve only got only two choices to exhaust the reservoir of desires -

1) to live through
2) to burn all

Given my familial and cultural conditions as gifts of God, my dream is to desire for the burning of Manchus residing inside.

With a lofty dream to behold, I have no time for distrust, untruth, petty politics, anger, jealousy, hatred, manipulation, mean mindedness or cunningness. Frankly, I have no time at all for those who bring along a whiff of the above with them.

However, I need time

• to realise how insignificant I am in this BIG Cosmos
• to thank my Master for accepting and silently guiding me
• to pray for all those known and unknown faces who help me live
• to sustain harmonious relationships with my dear family and selfless friends
• to enjoy the intake of food and breath
• to appreciate the different functions of my body and creative works of others’ minds
• to write my thoughts as they get chiseled out
• to give back to the world in my trivial way
• to learn to feel oneness in all acts


Now I wonder, how much time do I have to realise my lone dream? :)

9 comments:

Elanchezhiyan said...

Excellent. You saw "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin". Yesterday I saw "Ong Bak-2" one of the martial arts thailand movie. That too so nice. Soon I will send it to you more collections. Fantastic movies. Desire, dedication will give you to succeed in whatever the field you choose.

Concentrating in one field is good. But human beings brain capacity is high. Einstein used 4% of his brain only. (I read somewhere in the books). Think about us. To achieve something your circumstances also have to help more.

All needs their own "Time Management". What to do? When to do? Where to do?

Always you are proving in your article what you are thinking. The way you are sailing the words. This is another one more star in the crown.
Regards,
Elanchezhiyan

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

You have well explained the concept of 'desire' behind 'dreams'. A wonderful write-up indeed!

Regarding time, my Father often says that life is a continuous school of never ending learning. So time cannot measure the time that we take to learn. If we are alive today, it means we have the scope of learning.

Padmaja said...

Elanchezhiyan - Thanks a lot for your good words.

Latha - Your Father is right.

Solai Kannan said...

Beautiful as usual.

You are right from the viyavhara terms. But, spiritually speaking, there are dreams without desires. I think that is what Karma yoga. Pramuk Swami might have had the dream to build so many Akshardams, but he will not have any desire. I haven't seen the referred movie, but I think the hero also might have been a Karma Yogi.

Whatever you mentioned as your "time to do" is limited, I am sure you would do lot more than listed. I am sure you are not referring to what is left to do and how long it will take to do.

There is no question of time. As the story of Ashtavakra goes, even within the time of climbing a horse the Realisation can happen. No doubt, as you are closer to the neutrality, you would get what you dream without desire.

The Dingbat said...

I was wondering which movie to pick up next and your blog has given me the answer! :)
Thank you so much for putting up this post .. It is so apt for me at this present time .. The thing about dreams and desires ... Yes.. I realise now I dream a lot ... But quite lack the fuel of desire that dreams need in order to be fulfilled.. :) Now that I realise that, I hope to gain more clarity in terms of why I want something.. :)

Lots of love,
Anitha

Padmaja said...

Solai - I had written only in the vyavahara terms as I am one such. :)

Anitha - Do watch the movie. It's worth. You'll derive a lot of inspiration.

Solai Kannan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Solai Kannan said...

Thanks for suggesting the movie, 36th Chamber of Shaolin. Since, you have suggested I have seen the movie. Fantastic movie. All spiritual aspirants must see this movie before venturing into any spiritual process. It clearly tells us the need for a Guru and also the nature of Gurus - strict with lots of compassion and love.

Padmaja said...

Glad that you watched the movi. I agree with your findings.