Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Moon Mania

Have you ever read the poem ‘Drinking Alone by Moonlight’ written by Li Po?

Well, before coming to that, let me add that, I was bowled over by the display of Moon Factor at NASA Kennedy Space Centre. Really amazing...

That apart, there are lots of puranas, myths, stories and poems revolving around Moon which had fascinated me since childhood, even before I got to know of Armstrong’s one giant leap. Later years, I remember wondering for many days if Moon is a female or male! I had my reasons though. :)

Moon is such an inspiring celestial object that no person would be left attracted by it.

Every time I look up at the sky, especially Moon, I knew that somewhere in the corner of this world, some budding or accomplished poet or painter or musician or any artist must be drawing irresistible inspiration from Moon.

I had a wish recently to lie on the bare ground and watch the night sky, stars, clouds and also Moon. My inaudible mental whisper must have caught the attention of the Universe somehow and there I got the opportunity on the same night.

Haa.... in those few minutes, how much I yearned for a fellow being to enjoy what I did... also how much I wanted to share Li Po’s poem ‘Drinking Alone by Moonlight’at that moment!

To the songs I sing the moon flickers her beams;
In the dance I weave my shadow tangles and breaks.
While we were sober, three shared the fun
Now we are drunk, each goes their way.
May we long share our odd, inanimate feast,
And meet at last on the Cloudy River of the sky.


According to me, Li Po's Moon mania is the most exhilarating of all.

I wonder.....Is it the earth’s law of attraction that holds the Moon in its place or is it the law of attraction experienced by the human minds?

1 comment:

Latha said...

Is it the earth’s law of attraction that holds the Moon in its place or is it the law of attraction experienced by the human minds? - I liked these lines, Padmaja!

As you rightly said, moon has been quite an inspiration for many people. I think it is more appealing mainly because it can be viewed effortlessly :) unlike the sun who is so fiery :)