Saturday, August 11, 2007

For one more day

‘Tuesdays with Morrie’ is an unforgettable real-life conversation documented in an unusual way. It revolves around two characters – Mitch Albom and Morrie. Incidentally, Mitch Albom is the author of this best seller.

Keeping this in mind, I picked up his book ‘For one more day’. What to say about this! Mitch knows how to deliver his writings and creativity. I was instantly absorbed into his book the moment I read the first page. Again an unusual tale interspersing wisdom on life and death with a different touch. The author’s strongest points are his simple language and the depth of the subject. A truly amazing story telling it is.

We are introduced to Pauline Benetto, mother of Charley (Chick) Benetto as a ghost. Chick loses his father and mother, resorts to heavy drinking and is finally dumped by his own family. He feels desolate and isolated, sulks as if nobody in the world wants him, care for him and love him. He takes the worst decision of committing suicide. His attempts turn futile and then he meets his mother ghost. What happens after that is what the book is all about.

Madame Pauline (Posey) made me cry at many places. Chick helped me to gauge where I stand as far as my concern for my mother is. Chick’s collection of memoirs containing….

* Times my mother stood for me
* Times I did not stand up for my mother


really shook me, I must admit.

A great book from Mitch Albom one more time.

No comments: