Monday, August 13, 2007

Learn the lessons fast

Yesterday, I had started reading Mitch Albom’s ‘The five people you meet in heaven’. The story started with the End of an 83 year old man caused due to an accident. The story proceeds to say that he meets five people in heaven to learn lessons from his previous life in an unusual way.

The first man is a Blue man who awaits for Edward aka Eddie in heaven to teach the first lesson. He narrates an incident during Eddie’s boyhood life. The boy was supposed to meet with an accident by a Ford car but narrowly escaped death. The Blue man says that the driver was none other than him, that he lost his control on the steering by the boy’s act, met with an incident due to this and died on the spot.

We are concerned of our side of the story and fail to see the other side of it. When Eddie comes to know of this in heaven, he feels very bad that he was the reason for the Blue man’s death.

The wise man replies thus…

“That there are no random acts. That we are all connected. That you can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind.”

I was thinking a lot after reading this book. What kind of lessons do I have to learn?

Ironically, yesterday night came to know of the death of a 20 year old boy who was my friend’s son. He met with his end on the evening of 11th August as the lorry ran over him. All the wisdom that I had collected vanished in a second. What we plan for our whole life is dismantled in a second… Our plan never coincides with God’s. May his soul rest in peace!

I vividly remember the small talk that the boy gave before leaving for India for his studies. I am terribly moved by the trauma the parents must be undergoing. I have no words to console them however. May God give them courage to face life without their darling son!

Whatever do I have to learn, I must learn here and now. The next moment is neither mine nor yours. The two things that I should at least follow…

• Never wait for the opportune moment to say ‘sorry’
• Never postpone my expression of love to whom I want to say

Anything else??

Anything else??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.