Thursday, December 27, 2007

Flights of love

As the winner of the 'Caption Contest - Week 7' (a friendly contest conducted among interested friends), I am given the honour of hosting week 8 contest. The picture I chose is a ballerina in her best.

Poems have started flowing in already and you can have a look at it here...

http://padmaja.sulekha.com/blog/post/2007/12/caption-contest-week-8.htm

The links are provided in the comments section. Not as a part of contest but just out of interest, I too penned a few lines which are lighter to read. I thought I'll write a story based on this photo. Here I go....




Snow white face I have had in seven
Cuddled my papa as ‘angel’ of heaven
Nightmares I got of studies that dislike
My silence became an ally of my like

Tiptoeing my feet I walked the house whole
Papa enrolled me in ballet worrying my life role
Shirking off my shyness picked up the swings
My narrow waist held the dress as that of wings

I swirled and twirled in the big hall of school
Pointework became my mastery to drool
Challenged the gravity with my flight in air
Extending my legs and arms with utmost care

Soon I became a girl of sweet twenty
Met handsome of dreams in a party
Attracted by his charming gaze on me
Internally fell at his feet in loving glee

He came to see my performance the other day
Sitting in the front row cheered me up in gay
Butterflies in my stomach made me feel so weird
My poise and grace were the best so I heard

Brushing aside the crowd that hauled me to hold
He owned my hands soft to whisper so bold
The words of ‘I love you’ dripped into my heart
Wept in his arms whose charisma I couldn’t thwart

Married to everlasting happiness in a temple
Boy and girl did I deliver as our love symbol
Dances I postponed to raise my little children
Though remembered the stances so often

Lovingly I caress the photo taken thirty years ago
Which is a testimony to our love without ego
No son or daughter we have with us now
For they have found their love to which I bow

Here he comes with a bouquet of flowers
And bends at my feet for a dance at our terrace
Joyfully I accept and ready with my pointework
Swirl slowly now with little flight of leg work

Remembering the steps I pick up soon
To his great wonder under the silvery moon
Holding me he whispers ‘I love you’ so cute
My eyes reflect my emotions of love in mute

5 comments:

Radhakrishnan said...

A beautiful story in a poem. I liked it very much. Congratulations Padmaja.

Anonymous said...

"Flights of love" like the seven previous poems are beautiful!
Congratulations. They come to enrich the world of poetry.
A very good new year.
Geraldo

Padmaja said...

Thank you very much, Radha. Glad that you liked it.

Padmaja said...

Your visit surprised me, Geraldo. I am glad that you liked the poem including the rest. Indeed they are great.

Wish you a very 'Happy New Year 2008'!

Padmaja said...

Just a point to add - the entries are still flowing and time is there uptill 9 p.m. of 1st January. Please take time to enjoy other posts as well.

Thank you very much.