Sunday, December 09, 2007

A sonorous wish

I was a bit elated for having finished the book “Fermat’s Last Theorem” by Simon Singh at last a few days ago. This book recommended by my brother has got all the real life drama involving the mathematical wizards of generations to solve a 300 year old mathematical riddle, posed casually by an amateur mathematician, Fermat. The stress and mental agony the mathematicians had undergone on an algebraic equation shook me really. It was a matter of pride for them to solve the centuries old challenge.

Within a couple of days, I was asked to invigilate AMIE exam conducted in The Indian Embassy. I took up the first book of Khushwant Singh, ‘Train to Pakistan’ to kill my boredom. While flipping the first few pages over there, I was not greatly impressed, for it was nothing but description of characters of a sleepy village, Mano Majra. I lost interest and tossed the book aside after reaching home. However, basic instinct prevailed in a couple of days again and hence picked up from where I have left. In fact, the book not only killed my boredom but also highlighted the cruel killings of thousands of innocent lives.

The author has handled human emotions of the gory incidents involving India-Pakistan partition in such a fine fashion that I could not stop thinking of anything else except it. Mano Majra, a village sandwiched between Pakistan and India border houses both mainly Muslims and Sikhs. They respect each other and nevertheless their relationships are always cordial. A murder happens in that village followed by the arrival of a social worker, Iqbal. Jugga budmash & Iqbal are wrongly framed for the murder due to clever Deputy Commissioner, Hukum Chand. In the meantime, a train of Indian corpses arrive Mano Majra from the Pakistan border and that changes the scenario. There is a plot of the young patriotic Sikhs to revenge these types of killings to send a similar train to Pakistan. The volunteers collect near Mano Majra station to avenge their thirst for blood. In the meantime, the Muslims of Mano Majra are evacuated and are supposed to travel in the same train. What happens in the end is something to be read.

I am thoroughly disturbed by the author’s lucid narration of incidents involving this partition. I remember crying after watching the TV serial ‘Tamas’ and disturbed by Rani’s death in ‘Hey Ram’. But this story is beyond all those. I am completely absorbed by the emotions, for it is true even today. In the name of religion, people are tossed like toys by politicians, bureaucrats, terrorists etc.

Who should be blamed for these ongoing killings as the lick of blood is still wanted in many communities to revive the rivalries?

• Visionary of the British rulers for their cunning ploy of dividing the erstwhile undivided Bharat?
• Or the insensible and irresponsible people for succumbing to such emotional bargains?
• Or the diplomacy of the government in tackling such horrid recurring of incidents?
• Or anybody and everybody?

Sitting in my well protected flat enjoying the pleasures of life, my heart experienced a gale of emotions….

• Should I be contented with my inner world of peace or should I bother about the outer world of war?
• Should I preach non-violence from my haven or should I dare not visit those places even in dreams?
• Should I pray for Lord Kalki’s early arrival to destroy the cunning and the wicked (who spoil the world) if that includes me or should I not react at all?

Anger, vengeance, hatred, malice, revenge are difficult to see their death. No wonder, such chain reactions are hard to settle down. Is there anyone who is physically, mentally and spiritually strong enough to solve this political riddle that’s tearing Mother India and also Earth?

Peace and love must be the only religion, pledge, motto and life of all lives. All I can do is to write such a sonorous wish.

At times of practical and personal crisis, how many ears would this wish genuinely reach including mine – a point to be remembered though.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Who should be blamed for these ongoing killings as the lick of blood is still wanted in many communities to revive the rivalries?"

I relish the rare combination of words...
* lick of blood
* revive the rivalries.

"Should I preach non-violence from my haven or should I dare not visit those places even in dreams?"

Padmaja, if you have received an intuition, please go ahead...become a peace activist...all the best...

Padmaja said...

Thanks for your observations, Manohar. I didn't realise the combination of words until now. :)

Also for your good wishes. Hope to see myself wearing those shoes truthfully one day.

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Nice article! I also understand how the book has disturbed you a lot. Your feelings are deeply engraved in the form of your unique style of writing. The last line is in fact an answer to all your thoughts. At times of personal crisis, none of the attrocities around the world will seem to leave an effect on us unless and until our mission is to contribute to the peace of the world.
A good piece of work!

Radhakrishnan said...

Thank you padmaja for this article. I was told not to try to change the world as the world have been changing and adjusting itself to the enviroment, people behaviour, so on. The world is far better now than when it was formed!

''At times of practical and personal crisis, how many ears would this wish genuinely reach including mine – a point to be remembered though.''

Thank you.

Padmaja said...

Latha - You manage to read out my thoughtless scribbles even in your busy touring schedule. Many thanks to you for your continuous encouragement.

Padmaja said...

Radha - Thanks for your valuable comment. You have been rightly guided. The world gets adjusted as per the changes in the cycles of yugas.

How better people are now, that is upto each individual's perception according to his life's trials and tribulations and the people he meets.

I would be glad if you throw some light on your sentence....

//
The world is far better now than when it was formed!
//

Thanks a lot, Radha.

Radhakrishnan said...

I was saying to myself these words to make me feel better as I want to prevent me going into depression by thinking of the current world status.

When I was discussing about the current world issues with my brother, he told me to go and fight against it. I realised my incapability and I felt very sad. I was told that I am framing myself as the God and world healer! I thought it was not me and it is not going to me for the time being.

I read that even in vedic period there were fights and killings of each other. There was no harmony at all. If there was harmony, why Devas and Asuras lived in the same period all the way until now.

My brother said all these problems are due to human greed and it is increased now as the factor of human populations increased! The disease is pandemic now and it is very difficult to eradicate unless everything is wiped off at a single time. I wish everyone changes including me but it is not enough and too late.

Padmaja said...

//
I wish everyone changes including me but it is not enough and too late.
//

That applies to me as well. :)

Let us assume that the collective thoughts that we emit shape the outer world. All that we can do is to create this awareness and keep sending our positive thoughts & prayers continuously.

Praying for peace to all!

Elanchezhiyan said...

Good article. Keep it up.

Padmaja said...

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

There is so much of violence in us...
We also need to search within...
My focus is to work with myself.
If it is my ordain to work with others then only I do it...
I liked the simplicity of presentation and a peacefulness of expression.....

dsampath

Padmaja said...

It's a pleasure to have you here, Sampath.

Agreed with your first three lines. But the harsh reality is....

The violence in us is often neglected or ignored to be considered, the inner search is always postponed for tomorrow and the focus is never attempted.

Thanks a lot for sharing your valuable thoughts.

S. Ravi Venkatramana said...

I reserve my comments. When you come home next year, I will discuss this with you.

- Ravi