Thursday, December 20, 2007

My picture of haven




Taught was I to draw sloping house first
Practised it till I felt a pain in the fist
Mountains and mounds was the trial next
‘Sun’ I added on my own to splatter from the midst

Trees and leaves were difficult to master
Failure I should never admit in the mental plaster
Remembering these echoing words of pastor
Birds and grass my hands smeared from the platter

Boys and girls I was drawing with stencil
Learnt slowly to stroke them with pencil
Wanting to see myself on the picture as beautiful
Carefully learnt how to add colours wonderful

Rays of light got splashed on my canvas so often
Boasted my ego of its mastery in multiples of ten
Started painting a girl on a cycle balancing
Adding houses and trees at the backdrop to look stunning

Bouquets and awards came my way easily
Walked up the stage to collect them joyfully
Reminisced openly my path of learning with pride
To the audience whose mouths gaped so wide

Many a painting my hands would have delivered then
But for the paralysis that prompted me to read Zen
Decided to keep this painting with me hence
Wondering at the insights I too had delivered once

Neither do I wish to acquire houses for pleasure
Nor do I want to be a lady in utter pressure
Looking at the duality of roads that confuse my plight
I meditate everyday to lead me to One Light

Yes, I was the girl of blue and blonde in cycle
Enjoying the bliss with senses that recycle
Now to the surprise of my Father in heaven
I too have grown up from my painting of haven


This poem is written for Caption Contest - Week 7.


P.S. Picture courtesy Harry and Helen.

8 comments:

Radhakrishnan said...

Wonderful poem! Congratulations. I don't know how to express my views on this poem... beautiful.

Thank you Ushana.

Padmaja said...

Thanks a lot, Radha.

Many great poets lived, are living and will live on this planet. But your addressing of Ushana to a budding writer like me........ what to say! I am deeply touched.

S. Ravi Venkatramana said...

Padmaja,

A little more naive and it would have qualified as a 'Forrest Gumpish' way of thinking.

Nice poem. Keep writing.

- Ravi

Padmaja said...

Thanks, Ravi for your encouragement.

Elanchezhiyan said...

Hai Padmaja,

If I were the Education Minister in India. I advise to put your poems in school books.

Fantastic.....

With Regards,
Elanchezhiyan

Anonymous said...

Dear Padmaja

Nice flowing thoughts. Excellent.

Congratulations!!

Padmaja said...

Thanks Elanchezhiyan. That was kind of you to say so.

Padmaja said...

Thanks a lot, Manohar. Whether the poem is good or not, such superficial words are always musical to the ears of the poet. :D

Keep visiting.