Sunday, December 16, 2007

Silence of the night




I walked alone along the seaside
Only for the feel of sea and sky that unite
I touched the hill top in utter delight
Only for the feel of chill and deep insight

I flew across the clouds of bright
Only for the feel of spineful thrill and might
I played musical notes standing aside
Only for the feel of resonance and rhythm inside

I imagined such scenic beauty freeze around me
Only for the feel of dreaming at my will in glee
I learnt them all from my niece so cute
Only for the feel of dictating this poem in mute

I prayed to God to make me enjoy once
Only for the feel of crippled legs nimble once
I smiled in pain thinking my tryst with light
Only for the feel of flickering my blind sight

I decided to paint my thoughts that strike
Only for the feel of blue and green of my like
I struggled many a time to match your picture
Only for the feel of my emotions fill the pitcher

I am at last reminded of my skin in black and teeth in white
Only to be seated aside near the windowsill right
Now I am waiting for an angel to silence my outside
Only to feel safe and peaceful in my life of night


P.S. Picture courtesy Ramanpreet K
Contest Week 6

6 comments:

Radhakrishnan said...

Congratulations. This is a wonderful poem for the picture. It reflects the picture's voice. It is a great way to admit your humility in the poem. Well done! Thank you Padmaja.

I checked Sulekha and they must be proud of having such a wonderful writer. I am very happy indeed.

Padmaja said...

Thanks a lot, Radha. Your encouragement means a lot to me.

Anonymous said...

I felt the "feel" of the poem. What a wondeful poetic touch...

Congatulations Padmaja and thanks for this poem.

Was the the picture chosen for the poem
or
Was the poem chosen for the picture?

Both are appropriate.

Padmaja said...

Ah! What a compliment from a well read man!

Thanks, Manohar.

S. Ravi Venkatramana said...

Padmaja,

Good poem. Congrats to you!!!

I have a small question - does scenic beauty freeze around us or we simply stand all and appreciate the scenic beauty?

We perceive everything based on what we see, hear or read (Plato said that we only see what we wish to see...)

Keep writing.

- Ravi

Padmaja said...

You are right in saying that we appreciating scenic beauty. But in other way, we freeze the scenic beauty in our mental frame long after we leave the place.

Secondly for a person who is blind, he could not differentiate blue from green. The protoganist of this poem has heard them all only from the mouth of his niece.

Of course, as is said, perceptions differ from person to person.

Thanks a lot, Ravi.