Sunday, May 10, 2009

O Matter! What's the matter?

A headache is a real headache. It has the capability to spoil the day. Mine is worse, for I never get ordinary headaches. Or probably I should say, I have no experience at all on ordinary headaches. It is as if I am an eternal member of the elite group - Migraine Mavericks Mission. :)

Migraine swarms my being as a sole proprietor of my body and drains my energy wholly. You feel better to cry aloud during those times of helpless hours but many times I don’t have the energy to cry even. My otherwise serene face could not hide this pain however.

I think of all those terminally ill and chronic patients and pray for them with my blasting pain. I also think of Morrie of ‘Tuesdays with Morrie’ fame and my beloved Father. How, how on earth could they bear that much pain! Last Friday was one of my worst hit days in recent times (or do I feel so every time I’m hit?). Glaring lights and blaring sound are never going to be my friends.

Ah! That reminds me to add here that Atul performed his Hindustani Vocal and Tabla (both group performance) during the Annual Day functions of IIPA on May 8, 2009. My migraine got aggravated only because of this. However, I ventured out of the house with my limping foot after a long hiatus and I’m happy about it.

Lately, I had been doing some serious reading on ‘antimatter’. Very interesting subject it is. I wonder every time how many scientists would have sacrificed their whole lives to establish their findings. Also, how many scientists would have met the ill-fate of death in the hands of jealousy and conspiracy for fame, name and money. I have promised Atul to teach about ‘antimatter’ this week. Let me see….

By the way Atul asked me what prompted me to read about ‘antimatter’ all of a sudden. A very relevant question indeed, isn’t it? The answer is simple. People who know me well can easily guess.

I have borrowed the book ‘Angels & Demons’ written by Dan Brown (from my friend) which deals with the subject. Unless and until I understand a subject, I cannot proceed further in my reading of the book. Hence this curious interest in Particle Physics. :)

Scientists say that we belong to a universe of ‘matter’ and there may be a universe of ‘antimatter’. They also say that the properties and functioning of both are the same. That goes to prove that whether I live in the universe of ‘matter’ or ‘antimatter’, my migraine would happily go on. This could be my only finding of this life. :D :D

6 comments:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

I am really wondering how on earth do you get time to explore into various topics and make a thorough analysis of it. I sincerely appreciate your desire to learn lots and your knowledge in various fields.

Regarding migraine - I wish I could do something about it.

Padmaja said...

There are lots to learn, of course. When you read all these, you will also feel that you've not achieved anything in life. :))

The Dingbat said...

Hi Padmaja,

Your interests are indeed diverse! :) I can understand it now, because it is only recently that I began to feel curious about things and want to learn more... :)
Do take care ... And hope your leg and head are healing and well now.. :)

Lots of love,
Anitha

Padmaja said...

Yes, Anitha. My leg and head are better now.

My interests are diverse indeed but they lack depth. :)

Prakashika said...

Dear Padmaja,
You tempted me to learn about anti matter.

Padmaja said...

Dear Prakashi,

Antimatter is just the dark reflection of matter. All else remain the same. Glad about your interest.

With love,

Padmaja