Monday, May 25, 2009

It's all mind play

According to me, ‘dream’ is a common term that we use to

• justify sleepless nights
• project positivity
• set standards and goals
• brush off whimsical fantasies

Ironically, I had remained a victim of all the four in the past.

Dreams have the potential to diffuse, amuse or bemuse us. It can even frighten the core of our being and shake us.

The subconscious and unconscious layers of my mind had been generous enough to release many such reels without my conscious permission in all these years. Though the rationale part of the mind try to pose its logic, I fail to ignore them sometimes. Honestly, I’ve never had dreams of the types of Bharathiraja films so far. :)

At one point of time, I had dreamt of flashing doctor’s white coat on my shoulders, brushing a few strokes of colours, flying high as a pilot, tying dancers’ tinkles for my feet, playing veena, writing volumes of poetry, becoming a nuclear scientist etc. Dreams remained distant dreams though I could have sparkled in all. This is written not out of over confidence but because of the interests that I had at that time.

When I realized that there were no opportunities to pursue my dreams, I didn’t even bother to widen my knowledge on them. Now, I have burnt all of those dreams without trace as I understood that they are burdens to my onward journey. I am still holding on to ‘writing’ not to prove to anybody but only to fine tune my thoughts. If anyone is benefitted by this public display, it could be sheer coincidence.

Coming to the subject matter, two days back I was praying to God while lying on the bed to forgive all those known and unknown who had wished ill of me and hurt my soul in all my lives. I had no idea when I slept but was rudely woken up by a strange dream set in ancient times in which I realized a conspiracy to kill me, that those whom I approached for help turned into conspirators and that I was given a deep cut on my right palm so that I could bleed to death. I walked and walked the ups and down of many steps with dripping blood trailing me wherever I went but none bothered to help me out. As I was losing consciousness, I raised my bleeding hand towards two unknown strangers (an old man and a woman) as an act of relaying my intention to forgive those who harmed me and fell dead. The death was peaceful.

As I opened my eyes abruptly in the middle of the night, though chilling the dream experience was, I was not at all perturbed. Instead I was peaceful. I smiled within that my wish is registered in the subconscious or unconscious mind somehow.

This reminds me now that I had experienced all the four characteristics that I had enumerated in the opening para at one stretch. Now I got to seriously watch the mounds of thoughts for a better mind play.

9 comments:

The Dingbat said...

That was quite an intense dream, Padmaja! Mebbe, as you said, your wish is registered very deeply in your subconscious mind.. :)

Love,
Anitha

prakashika said...

Dear Padmaja,
Sensible and Suitable title.
I really like the title very much!
Dreams are the ventilator for the subconscious mind.
Without dreams most of us will be in trouble!!

Padmaja said...

@Anitha - Hope so. Unless and until we practise consciously, there can be no permanent imprint in the subconscious mind. Whether my wish is registered or not, I do not wish to carry these unnecessary & unwanted junk of emotions with me when I die. :)

Padmaja said...

@Prakashika - Glad that you liked the title. It is also a mind play. :)

Sometimes dreams can be revelations. I didn't talk about them in this article though. Maybe some other time.

A dreamless sleep is wonderful but a dreamless life is sheer monotony.

Solai Kannan said...

As per scriptures and reality, our concious life is also one of such dreams. So, our life is full of dreams in any level of plane of mind.

Indeed, you are fortunate to see your own death, at least in dream. :)

"Honestly, I’ve never had dreams of the types of Bharathiraja films so far. :)" Nice one. I wish to have such colourful dreams. :) BTW once I read from writer Sujatha's writing that all dreams are in black and white only. But, I once had a colour dream. Have anyone got colour dreams?. In the HD digital age, still we are in black and white dreams :)

More seriously, you are right. Through out our life we are conditioning our mind by some means and unwind the conditioning later. So, we keep on doing this until we stop conditioning the mind further. All the scriptures and rituals are aimed at either to conditioning or removing the already implanted conditioning.

Padmaja said...

@Solai - My dreams were in colours so far. I remember seeing red blood, I think. :)

Unwinding the conditioning should happen as we become more religious or spiritual. Instead conditioning happens in a different tone and tune.

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Your style of writing was impressive (as always).

The core of this article is an interesting one. The reply you had given to Prakashika was even more inspiring. Ture, dreamless sleep would be bliss but dreamless life will be monotonous.

I too have heard as Solai Kannan had mentioned that dreams appear in Black and White. One night, when I was contemplating about this topic, I dreamt about a flower in the midst of a hugr garden. When I woke up, I could vividly remember that the garden was like a pencil sketch and the flower alone was in red colour. It was indeed strange.

I am sure that it is registered in your subconscious mind not to hurt anyone and the outcome is this dream. I appreciate it. I enjoyed reading this article.

Padmaja said...

@Latha : Thank you for your kind words. Forgiving is one of the greatest virtues one could practice. I am glad that at least such a wish arose in my mind at present.

Solai Kannan said...

Interestingly, today I read the following related paragraph, extracted from Music Director AR Rahman's interview. Unfortunately, it is in Tamil.

ரஹ்மானே அதைப் பற்றிச் சொல்கிறார்... ''அப்ப நான் ஒரு ரெகார்டிங்குக்காக மலேசியாவில் இருந்தேன். திடீர்னு ஒரு நாள் கனவில் பெரியவர் ஒருவர் வந்தார். என்னை 'இஸ்லாம் மதத்துக்கு மாறு!'ன்னு சொன்னார். எனக்கு அது புரியலை. ஏதோ ஒரு கனவுன்னு விட்டுட்டேன். ஆனா, மறுபடியும் மறுபடியும் அதே கனவு தொடர்ந்து வந்துக்கிட்டே இருந்தது. அது ஏதோ ஒரு divine செய்தின்னு நினைச்சேன். அம்மாவிடம் வந்து அந்த கனவைப் பத்திச் சொன்னேன். 'கடவுள்கிட்டே இருந்து வந்த செய்தியை மறுக்கக் கூடாது'ன்னு சொன் னாங்க.

அப்போ இருந்து அம்மாவுடன் தர்காக்களுக்குப் போக ஆரம்பிச்சேன். நிறைய முஸ்லிம் குருமார்களைச் சந்திச்சேன். எனக்கு மதம் பற்றிப் பல வெளிச்சங்கள் கிடைச்சது. கொஞ்ச நாட்கள்லேயே என் குடும்பத்தில் எல்லாருமே இஸ்லாம் மதத்துக்கு மாறிட்டோம்!''