Sunday, May 17, 2009

The road less travelled

The concept of heaven and hell had been an integral part of growing up for me. In fact, it must be so for many. Till I got inspired by Gandhiji’s biography during my secondary school, I was afraid of the punishment in hell. And this kept a check on my words that I uttered. Later on, I willingly avoided situations that pushed me to speak untruth.

Just like any other, my growing up was also confused because lies and liars were aplenty. It’s a challenge for my ordinary mind, what with its own labyrinth of surprises and shocks, to cope with other liar mazes that loomed large in front of me. Over a period of years, I learnt to stand beside the liars and listen to them with patience.

Not that I boast of adhering to truth always. The slippages do happen sometimes. But one truth that I cannot deny myself is that I had truthfully tried to be a good daughter all these years.

Today is my late Father’s birthday. Although he had ascended to the other world long back, a small tribute awaits his soul on this earth from me today. This tribute is my promise to live a more humane life, for he had always wanted his children to spread light like stars of the sky.

Scientifically speaking, the twinkling of a star reaches our earth after many, many years of its action. This always reminds me that anything that is bound by time and space has its own limitations and what we sense may not be true and happening at all times.

Such similar simple truths are expounded in my writing along with translation of Gita verses in Tamil. This project is completed today after three years of bumping journey. There were a lot of physical, mental, emotional and spiritual upheavals during this expedition. Truthfully speaking, it has sailed through on its own thanks to the support, guidance and blessings of noble & divine souls. More than anything else, it has reminded me in whispers that consistency is one of the key factors of spiritual life and heaven or hell is only ramifications of my mental chatters.

I’ve dedicated the Garland of Pearls to my parents without whom my existence on this planet would have been impossible. I strongly believe and wish that this offering would go to my Guru eventually as my small token of love on his birthday which falls on May 18th i.e. tomorrow.

Though it is a great moment of my life, I don't feel any elation upon this achievement but surely emotional. Of course, the stress is lifted and a void is felt deep within, for it is the result of my passion for writing. :)


Incidentally this is my 175th post.

9 comments:

S. Ravi Venkatramana said...

You are Daddy's daughter in the true sense. Our father copied the Gita verses in Sanskrit on paper, bound them and offered his work thrice. He added a few illustrations too during every such time.

You have imbibed a lot of his perseverance and determination. Keep going!!! Amma and I are very proud of you.

- Ravi

Padmaja said...

Dear Ravi,

Your comment is very valuable for me. Thanks a lot.

With love,

Padmaja

Solai Kannan said...

Padmaja,

I couldn't find time to write on this chapter of your blog.

First of all, at it happened in the Kurukshetra battle field, in spite of so many human beings in that area, only one in the field and two in the remote had the opportunity to hear the great song, even in the present world, though many have the access to Gita, only a few has the blessing to hear. Out of that only a few has the blessings to comprehend the entire meaning as it is. But...only a handful can have the vision to write on Gita. Out of this small number only one or two can succeed in completing the task.

You are special in this aspect.

Solai Kannan said...

Your determination needs to be mentioned, here. First of all, it is very hard to do even a simple translation. As far as I know Ashtavakra Geetai is the smallest spiritual text. I had been trying to make a proper translation of it, in the modern language for my own repetitive reading. But, I have done only 3 chapters in the last one year. So, I know how hard it will be to complete the entire geetai with translation and embedding it in the life events.

Secondly, the place where you were writing was not at all recognising the quality and depth of your work.

In such a dry place, I feel it is impossible for anyone to continue doing any work. But, I really feel that your determination is commendable.

Solai Kannan said...

Final Note.

Your idea of writing Geetai in a simple language with corresponding life events matching the relevent geetai portions is impressive.

You are having a good creativity in that aspect. It is easy to build a new house, whereas modifying an existing one is not that easy. Similarly, writing something on your own is easy. Or doing a rough translation of something is also relatively easy. But, combining these two is not that easy. Kalainger Karunanithi wrote Kuraloviam, in a similar manner. But, in that each one had separate story. Whereas, yours is daily life events, which is not easy to write creatively. You have to watch non-repetitions and you have done a great job in this aspect.

Solai Kannan said...

Final Final note :)

I can keep on write, as your writing is so terrific and outstanding. So, excuse me for so many comments.

After completing all the slokas of 18th Chapter, you mentioned that still two more entries are left out, I was surprised what is there to continue.

But, to my surprise those final two entries are the best of your writing in Geetai write up. You have gone in all directions of spirituality and blended various theories. You summarised the teachings of Geetai. Most importantly you made it clear to everyone what have to be done by a spiritual aspirant after reading geetai.

Those two entries are exceptionally good.

I haven't mentioned about your writing skill. Your English writing is beyond my level to comment. But, your Tamil writing too is amazing. Though you are not that much familiar with Tamil writing, you have chosen right vocabularies and in some places you have written poetically.

In fact, each and every word is meticulously carved, so each one deserves respect.

Padmaja said...

I am overwhelmed. All I could say at present is 'Thank you'.

Prakashika said...

Dear Padmaja,
Whatever i want to say,Mr.Solaikannan has written.
I dont have words Except
"It's an amazing work".

Padmaja said...

So nice of you to say so. Thanks a lot, Prakashika.