Thursday, May 28, 2009

Make-up

I have always admired beautiful women walking in élan with impeccable make-up and a plastic smile. But they have also raised enough curiosity in me to see their faces without make-up. :D

Is the make-up beautifying them or the luxuriant products get beatified because of them? Are they really angelic as they appear to be?

Way back, my orthodox middle class family never allowed make-up of any sort till I started my career. Oh yes, I donned make-up while playing small roles on stage during my childhood. Of course, I wanted to own a make-up kit at that time. Ah…. innocent days…….

Even during my working days, the maximum externals that beautified me were lipstick and nail polish. I am a person of commitment and hence I was dedicated to a couple of lipstick and nail polish unlike my friends who had a rack full of different shades pining for their elegant touch. However, the day I learnt about the inner make up, my poor knowledge on external decoration got dropped on its own at that instant.

Some of my decisions (though mundane) were very strong and this was one among them. Since then, I have not wavered even once. Do not assume that I am a person of great determination always. No. This one is a simple revelation. That’s all.

When I see the young girls of today, I could not stop admiring the way they carry themselves with the glittering make-up and high heels to prance around. Not to mention of the proud parents who encourage their children to be so whether on stage or off stage.

I could not thank my strict parents enough now, for they had given confidence in a subtle level. Not only that, they were strict in not accumulating inner make-up which I realized later.

Actually, while turning the pages of GDN today morning, I felt grieved to read the article on the man who has woken up from coma, a victim of bomb blast who has lost his eyes, right hand and a mutilated face which has to be literally reconstructed. Ironically, he is one of the suspects for assembling the bomb and is going to be tried in court.

With a face to rebuild, dented eye sockets and a missing right hand, what more can he look out for in life? Is this awakening from sleep a punishment for him? Whether he is innocent or convict, he has to face physical and mental trauma in the coming weeks. The man’s file photo reminded me of the topic ‘make-up’, for face is the base of expressing emotions and a platform to exude sweetness hiding the volcano within.

Inner make-up is more dangerous to self and others. The layer that covers the self is dirt and not a beauty product.

Are we one among the many who is roaming around with a flawless inner make-up?

5 comments:

Solai Kannan said...

Perfect. I agree with you one hundred percent.

Basically, people want to be attracted. However, those who have self confidence need not bother about make up, dyeing of hairs etc. But, those who feel low about themselves, feel that their lowness can be improved with the make-up. But, within no time others can easily understand our level.

Moreover, as long as we are longing for other's approval of us, we will continue to follow what will be approved by others. Currently, the world approves only make up. So, people follow blindly.

The Dingbat said...

You so remind me of my own childhood, Padmaja! :) I stuck to the same nail polish and lipstick for years! :))) I learnt about external make-up when I was in the UK, apparently my job demanded it! I was in Sales, and my boss was like insistent that I wear good make-up all the time. It would not be wrong to say that that was one of the most pressing reasons why I left the company in 3 months. Could not take any more of that farce! But yes, I do admire women who can wear make-up really well and carry it off too... Earlier, I used to want to be like them - now I know better, and am happy to be myself.. Without make-up. :D

Love,
Anitha

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Your post was very interesting. I felt it to be a combination of truth and your personal experience and feelings.

I honestly feel that make-up boosts confidence at times. Sometimes it is essential too. I had a friend whose hair started greying when she was hardly 13. So she has been dyeing regularly since then.

I am more concerned about inner make-up. People apply make-up showing a different picture to others. Some say that we need to act according to situations by not attaching ourselves to only one personality but at the same time, doesn't it denote inconsistency? I am not sure. All said and done, I enjoyed reading your post.

Padmaja said...

@Solai, Anitha & Latha - I value each one of your comments. Thank you.

Elanchezhiyan said...

So nice article. I agree your comments.
"Nalla kuttu vangindane".
Regards,
Elanchezhiyan