Monday, January 10, 2011

A sane thought

Both the babies were born to the same Mother in just a day’s gap. One baby could not survive for long which the Mother realized and pushed the dead baby aside to protect the other. The very next day, the other baby too died and the Mother flew away after sometime.

Having witnessed this drama of 18 days of intense incubation by those lovely pigeons across my kitchen window, my heart felt pain when I saw the death of both the squabs. In fact, I waited patiently for a couple of days for the Mother to return to the place to reminisce its memories but both the pigeons didn’t. At least I didn’t see or hear.

I remember how I used to work noiselessly in my kitchen so as not to disturb the incubating pigeons. I still remember their glistening eyes full of love while sitting on the eggs for 6-8 hours at a stretch with no entertainment, food, water etc. and how the parents took turns as if they've understood the parenthood well. I also remember how much I rejoiced when the babies came out of the eggs.

Do those pigeons mourn their loss somewhere or not? Or have they moved on with their lives?

Has not Lord Krishna quoted pigeons as one of the teachers of Avadhuta (Srimad Bhagavatam) about how their attachment towards their children killed them? But I have learnt different lessons from these pigeons last year.

After all, it won’t really matter to my dead body or the flying soul whether anyone cries or be happy after my death, isn’t it?

3 comments:

Latha said...

Love and parenting seem to be the same for all human beings but sometimes attachment is what I feel is in excess to the human race when compared with the birds and animals.

I fully understood your feelings on seeing those tender creatures right in front of your eyes. You have rightly mentioned that it doesn't matter to the dead if their kith and kin are rejoicing or sad about their departure but it does matter to the people who have lost their loved ones, at least for some time.

Latha said...

Padmaja, what I meant to say was "Love and parenting seem to be the same for all living beings"

Padmaja said...

Latha, You have rightly said. Pain of separation is felt mostly by the living and not the dead.

Sometimes, birds and animals are better parents than human beings. :)