Saturday, January 08, 2011

The science of words

It is not easy to keep up with our own words, more specially those casual ones that get strewn as we walk along the day carelessly. Who cares to know in this world what kind of science is involved behind the delivery of those simple ‘yes’ and ‘no’?

Frankly, this past one month I was struggling hard to fit in two things in my schedule, for which I had given the word of ‘yes’. Finally completed them both yesterday. They were

1) to watch ‘Peepli Live’
2) to read 'Heroes of Olympus – The Lost Hero’

‘Peepli Live’ is a comical satire (certified 'A') where the hero delivers just bare minimum words. The film had triggered my anger and helplessness at the same time towards those manipulating politicians and media. The film is down-to-earth real in terms of cast and dialogues. In fact, I was stunned by the casualness with which the brothers decide who should commit suicide. Mother Earth is being abused in many, many ways which is intolerable. My Lord, are you listening to my plea?

Secondly, I enjoyed reading the big bound book ‘The Lost Hero’ (meant for teens & pre-teens). :D Here, ironically, Gaia (Mother Nature) is the villain who rises the giants from death and slumber to vanquish the proud gods. Just like his earlier series, Rick Riordan has a way with words to weave stories of mythology.

However, what should be understood mainly from these stories is that only a fearless and egoless person can take up a quest and win always. I wish this subtle point is understood by those teenage minds who read this.

Seriousness apart, I've decided to 'create' time for the whole series of 'Heroes of Olympus' in the coming months.... :)

Coming back to the opening sentence, I am happy that I could keep up my words...... this time too, for, the science of words is of concern for me at present. :)

2 comments:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja


I am happy that as always, you were able to keep up the commitment that you had given to yourself. As you said, the casual 'yes' and 'no' will have some consequences. Thinking of all that, sometimes I feel that silence is far better than spilling out words especially with others.

Padmaja said...

Thanks, dear Latha.

Maintaining a stance of unspoken words is definitely better than war of words.

How I wish I completely forget the day-to-day demands of the clock and go into a long period of silence. Worse come worse, probably I can be silent with my written words here, which is surely in my hands..... :)