Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Winter prayer

If you have not read Mitch Albom’s Have a Little Faith’, please do read without fail. After ‘Tuesdays with Morrie’, Mitch has written another book straight from the heart. In fact, I read this book last July when my Mother was hospitalized. As if to savour all the emotions contained therein to match the ongoing hospital scenario, I read this book slowly then. It’s about the request of a Jewish Rabbi to Mitch to write a eulogy after his death and also the author’s parallel rendezvous with a highly impoverished but large-hearted & determined Pastor Henry Covington during this period of learning.

This winter is severe throughout the world. This reminds me of the said Pastor how he struggled hard to give warm clothing & bed and hot food for the homeless in winter, in spite of no funds at his end thus exhibiting his faith in the words of his Master, Jesus Christ.

Bahrain too is experiencing unusual winter showers for the past two days thus sending us thrills and shivers. The gray sky, washed buildings, water logged ground, dirty roads, my frozen feet and nose, urgent birds with inconsequential tweets– all these and more when I watch from my bedroom window during this day’s morning silence, I wonder Life can’t be any better for me.

Life appears perfect when you are alone. To live this perfect life, my mornings are generally reserved for my musings and silence, and hence no human interference is encouraged otherwise. For the past few days, one of the musings that disturbs me is about those homeless humans, stray animals and birds all across the globe being beaten by winter harshness.

I am not that great Pastor of action but a simple being of inaction with a lot of limitations. So, I pray in silence.

May the power of all such prayers bring those shivering beings some warmth!

2 comments:

Latha said...

I have not read the book that you have mentioned, Padmaja but I am sure that it would be really worth if you recommend. Let me see if I can read it too.

Nobody other than you can constantly worry about those homeless beings in this harsh winter. I did not even think on those lines. You are simply great, Padmaja

Padmaja said...

Latha, The most compassionate and humble Pastor passed away on 22nd Dec, 2010 in sleep. I'm sure such great souls will come back again with a better body and circumstances to serve the Lord's creation in a much better way.