Tuesday, March 29, 2011

When...

The loud and continuous cry was intolerable to hear. And this cry for life made me literally cry. It was the desperate cry of a roadside pig being brutally caught and/or murdered by the eaters of flesh. Sitting inside the comforts of home, I felt so helpless. My whole being shuddered.

With no offence meant, I, due to my brought up and availability of knowledge in this life, cannot understand how one could enjoy the torture of another living being just to fulfill his/her interests.

Do I, as a part of humanity, owe an explanation for all such injustices done on this planet?

Is it an achievement to overpower a weakling?

When will we be ready to take up the challenge of seeing every being as our own?

2 comments:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja


I can understand your feelings. I have also thought on those lines years back. We can do nothing but pray for those poor helpless creatures. Maybe it is a part of their evolution and maybe they might evolve into better beings in their next life. Death is just one moment of pain which is better for those poor beings who live every moment of their life with the fear of being caught by human monsters.

Human beings consider themselves superior to these beings and hence murder them ruthlessly and enjoy its taste. But the news that I read recently kept me in a shock for some time. In Europe, they identified some cannibals who dig up grave just to cook and eat up the flesh. It was found when a woman came to pray at her mother's grave and who found that the grave had been dug open and the body missing. This incident disturbed me a lot. Such is the attitude of some men living in this planet. God is watching and as you said, I am hopeful that He will protect us.

Padmaja said...

It is indeed shocking. My understanding is, after death, the body is of no use in the technical sense because everything is matter and matter should be in rotation with proper disintegration and assimilation of elements. However, the living may have sentiments attached toward the dead body. It is this appreciation of others' feelings that make us human. Cannibals can't understand these things definitely. What to do! :(