Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Against the rides of gray and grey

Last week, my son asked me, “Lots of gray hair I could see. Why don’t you dye your hair?” When I asked him, “Why should I?”, he shrugged his shoulders and went away. Again he said today, “So much of gray hair near your face which is why it is visible. Do something Amma. You look old.” I laughed.

Yes, it is true that in these past two months, a lot of white strands have sprouted much to my astonishment. The reason could never be ‘worry’ because I don’t worry at all about anything (I mean it) even in the strangest of situations which is a boon bestowed on me by God, which I am sure about. :)

Like gray hair, people generally associate loss of memory to old age. There was a friends’ meet yesterday morning. As soon as I opened the cupboard thinking what to wear, a sari caught my attention and wondered who gave me as a gift because I don’t buy saris at all these days. Please note that I get such gifts very rarely and that I should not forget if it were one.

Immediately a face flashed in front of me. Next moment I was asking her on the phone (since she has a very strong memory), “Do you remember me telling you about a gift that I got............? Who do you think would have given this to me?” She retorted, “Padmaja, what is this? It is I who gave you the sari last November. So soon you forgot…” Hehe….. We both had a good laugh at the expense of my strong memory power.

I am prone to forgetting things since my childhood and hence always end up with embarrassing situations. It has nothing to do with my passing youth. I manage such situations with a silent smile. And then the Universe steps in to my rescue.:):D

Let the gray hair and grey cells proclaim whatever they want. According to me, I am ever young at heart. I don’t care if anyone disagrees with me on this count, even if I've mixed up the usage of gray and grey. :)

2 comments:

Latha said...

A very interesting post, Padmaja. Kids interfere a lot more on our looks as we grow old. As you say, ageing is a matter of our heart and definitely not based on our looks.

pattri said...

Lucky, he is observing only things grey. Hasn't started looking at highlights & low-lights, yet!