Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Beeline of winners

Tears of joy on account of success is no one origin’s patent. As I was flipping through the channels at around 10:30 pm, I stumbled upon ESPN that broadcast the Scripps National Spelling Bee Finals which held on May 28th at Washington DC. Out of the last 7 finalists, I was astonished to see four girls of Indian origin. The winner, Kavya Shivshankar was simple, cool, clear and confident. This 13-year old girl made me feel as if the spelling bee contest is so easy. The smiling girl could not contain her tears of joy (at last) upon clearing the winning word.

The secret, as it seemed to me, lies in love for English, developing close affinity with alphabets, familiarity with languages of origin like French, Latin etc, mastering immaculate pronunciation techniques, extreme hard work and of course, the attitude.

Kyle Mou’s calmness, Kennyi Aouad’s laughter (This boy received standing ovation when he was ousted. He patted his father’s back upon losing… oh....he is such a darling), Aishwarya’s analytical thinking, Tim Riuter’s confidence and all the final contestants whom I had watched – they are all amazing.

I saw the equanimity, grace, calmness and smile on those young faces throughout even in the midst of intense thinking. What if the rest of the contestants missed or jumbled one or two alphabets here and there. They are all sure winners of life. God bless!

5 comments:

The Dingbat said...

It really is amazing to see kids behave in such a mature way... :)

Padmaja said...

Yes, indeed.

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

I have watched that programme too and have often wondered how those kids manage to spell difficult words with clues that seem even more difficult to me. As you say, love towards the language and origin of each words, make them spell them so easily. They would have also studied intensely.

I am also equally amazed at the spirit such kids maintain. They appear so relaxed and cool and as you say, the smile they carry!

My kids are also about to participate in the Spelling Bee competition shortly - God knows how they would perform!

Your title is so nice Padmaja. It is so apt! I wouldn't have thought of this title if I were to write about this topic. :)

Padmaja said...

Wow! My very best wishes to S & S. I am so glad to know. Let them enjoy their performance more than carrying the weightage inside.

Anonymous said...

24119.....96231