Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Musical musings

‘Right now right now……’

The Akon song was being played again and again in the midst of heated studies for the exams. I had to be firm with Atul especially during exam time to concentrate only on studies, nevertheless he wins me over easily with his wit and arguments. I wish to document a few fragments of moments that we shared in these last few days.

1) The most memorable day was the day prior to his Hindi exam. He wanted to relate all words of paryayavaachi with famous personalities. He managed to relate piyush with Piyush Chawla, sudha with Sudha Chandran, chamak with Shiamak Dhavar.

When I told him to memorise them as we were running short of time and there were hardly 10 or 12 synonyms, (because either he should have given this job to me beforehand or he should have worked out on his own), he replied, “Education should be fun. You know…. Aunty ‘x’ is teaching like this only to students while counseling the children.”

I retorted, “She is doing so for mentally challenged children. Are you one?”

He immediately bounced back, “But this is a mentally challenging subject for me.” :)

2) He is extremely serious on two things for which he is troubling me a lot. Basically he is an environmentalist.

* To maintain separate bags for recyclable waste and others. Tomorrow is his science exam and he is reminding me again now. He wants to personally see to it that the recyclable materials are sent to proper places. And he is ready to find out contacts on his own.

* He has been arguing with me for a long time that I don’t care for his generation a bit. Ask me why. He argues that my taking bath twice a day would deprive him of water for his generation and that I am a selfish being. What can I say now? :D

3) He has the habit of drawing a few ideas after every exam provided he finds time after finishing it. On the day of Hindi exam, I saw a page full of drawings – very interesting and sweet. :)

Today was his English exam. As soon as he entered, I asked him, “How was your exam?” He said that it was good. My next question - “Did you draw anything?” hehe…

He said, “No, Amma. I didn’t get any idea today.” I was really surprised.

Oh dear! First time I am hearing from you that you ran out of ideas. I know that your life is very simple and you wish to enjoy life with a few things like…

• scoring at least 96% in academics
• playing cricket
• swimming
• listening to music
• reading books
• learning tabla
• eating pizzas, burgers thrice a year
• going to theme parks once in a while

Did I leave any?

I remember the song which you hear everyday, “You are beautiful, you are so beautiful…..”

I want you to always retain the beautiful smile, innocent loud laughter and carefree attitude as you adorn now.

2 comments:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

No doubt, Atul is a darling! I can form an idea of how helpless you would be in handling him - on one end, is the competitive world ahead of Atul for which you have to prepare him and on the other hand, is this innocence of this young boy which if failed to relished now, it possibly may never turn back again. As you said, may his innocence be retained. He is an adorable boy!

Padmaja said...

Thanks a lot, Latha. There is enough stuff to write volumes on our daily conversations, his innocent questions and sharp & instant answers. :D