Monday, June 29, 2009

Remembering a lonely travel

Most of the time the flight journeys, especially when travelled alone, are boring. On 26th June night, I had to board the Jet Airways flight to Mumbai alone but the journey was entertaining throughout.

Sitting in the lounge of Bahrain Airport alone, I was watching the steady movement of passengers of multi nationalities walking with anxious looks and different colourful/ funny attires, totally unaware of two watchful eyes at a distance. I remembered sarcastic Socrates who was seen in the market place everyday to derive inspirational truths. He has missed one of the most entertaining dramas by being born in the ancient era. (Atul terms my childhood as ‘ancient’; would he call Socrates’ period as Stone Age?) :)

In front of me were sitting a big group of white clad Muslims of around 70 years old. I was fascinated to see so many old men and women of middle class genre travelling together as a group somewhere. Some of them were sleepy, some chit chatting lazily, some sitting quietly, a few sitting on the floor, a couple of them looking at me curiously and tried to talk to me as well. I wondered what could have bonded them all together! Where are they upto? It appeared wonderful to see so many oldies as one big family. I salute their spirit and enthusiasm.

As I was lost in the colours in front of me, I missed the announcement of the change of gate number. All of a sudden I realized that I had to rush to Gate 31 from Gate 16. In fact, I checked in only 1:45 hours before which in all international standards can not be termed as early. Why can’t the gate number be correctly printed in the Boarding Pass? In fact, the Jet Airways employee who issued me the Boarding Pass told me verbally twice to go to Gate 16.

As soon as I settled down in the flight, the pilot ignited the engine at 9:30 pm itself instead of the scheduled 10 pm and took off at 9:40 pm. Jet is always ahead of their schedule which I have experienced many times. No complaints though.

One thing I always enjoy is the identity crisis the strangers face upon seeing me. I have experiences of people who know me beforehand that I am from Tamilnadu, talk in Hindi or Marati in front of me not knowing that I can speak/understand both the languages. Way back, one gentleman used to talk to his newly wedded wife in Marati in front of me for many days and you must see his face when I revealed one day that I could follow him. Hehe… On the other hand, those who see me for the first time have asked me if I am a Gujrati, Marati or even Bengali. Ha! You must see their surprise and confusion when I inform them that I am a pucca South Indian. One such small incident happened in this flight also. :D This is all funny but still one thing I don’t understand till date is, why should people assume and try to superimpose their judgment on me?

The minute my flight landed in Mumbai, I felt as if the whole of India was welcoming me with her usual cheer. I prayed for a minute that my visit must be fruitful to me and others.

Amchi Mumbai arrivals is looking very pleasant outside what with new structures are erected for the sake of receiving friends & relatives. Earlier, it used to be horrible.

As I stepped out of the airport, I saw my brother waiting for me to take me home. When I entered into our small flat finally at 5:30 am, Mother was eagerly waiting for me. She had not slept the whole night it seems as she was excited about my arrival.

Though the current technology has shrunk any distance to a mere touch of a computer or phone, I still miss my near and dear ones in Bahrain. Yet I am happy to be in India. Jai Ho!


P.S. I shall try to record my philosophical muse in the ‘Divine Vibrations’ soon.

3 comments:

prakashika said...

Dear Padmaja,
"Mother was eagerly waiting for me. She had not slept the whole night it seems as she was excited about my arrival"

For this excitement it worth to miss ur dear ones in bahrain for short time.

Waiting to see u!

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Loved the way you have recorded the judgements people had on you and how they were in for a surprise on knowing the truth. I too was confused the first time I met you.

Enjoy your stay in India! Let us meet if possible.

Padmaja said...

@Prakashi - Amma is really happy to see me. :)

@Latha - How happy I am to see you back to the internet world! :)