Wednesday, July 08, 2009

English mania

Talking about English in my last blog reminded me of my morning visit to Atul’s school on the day of leaving Bahrain i.e. 26th June. In spite of the mind spinning work that I had at home, I wanted to surprise him. Moreover, there was a PTM from 8:45 to 11:30 am on that day.

It was a Friday and hence a holiday for him. Since he has taken up Kiran More coaching classes for 3 weeks, he was up and ready at 5 am itself for his morning coaching. At the end of training for the day at around 8:00 am, there was an unexpected assembly of the participating students to give a few tips and also to distribute T-Shirts. It was just an informal gathering in the auditorium of the school. I could see both the students and teachers were sweating profusely because of their intense physical practice in the summer heat. Under the circumstances, the PT Master in-charge was acting as MC on an emergency basis. He was talking in English which was grammatically incorrect many times.

What irritated me was, the elite group sitting at the backside were commenting and laughing about every sentence that he spoke and poor organizing skills of the school. I felt like asking a few questions…

1) If your ward is studying in an elite school and if you are so concerned about English, why do you have to send your child to this mediocre school for cricket coaching?

2) Why do you have to grumble so much for spending extra half an hour for the sake of your own child? I know how much time you spend for parties and club activities.

3) Are you aware that English proficiency is not a must for a PT Master? He should be able to convey the key message to the children in simple words and the children should grasp without fail which both the parties are doing without any problems. How stupid you can be to assume that English is the end of the world!

4) Do you know that many great personalities of sports, arts and science do not speak in English even though they know the language. Be aware that it is only the perfection in one’s field of interest that really matters which they know and the world too knows. That's why they command respect.

5) By the way, are you a literary giant whom the world adores? Even they don't do such foolish things, for they know that humility is what makes a man complete.

6) By talking ill of teachers in front of your children, do you know that you are dangerously stealing the respect your child has to give to his teachers? Is this the culture that you want to pass on to your child?

7) Can’t you sit quietly and listen patiently to what others have to say? At least learn not to criticize on such unimportant matters if you have to talk in between. It badly reflects only on your character.

I happened to be a witness to this shameful act. I feel really sad.

5 comments:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Well said!

There are so many European countries that don't speak have English as a subject to teach the children. But still they are regarded as a prominent person in the world. But Asians who do not speak English are considered to be a burden to this earth. I don't know why.

Prakashika said...

Dear Padmaja,
I agree with you.
If you do not know english nothing you can be done.They have to understand english is just a language what more needed is good communication.
The worst part is parents criticising teachers in front of childern.
Children not only thinks bad about the teachers in future and due to this attitude their studies and morality in life will also be put to task.
How can we expect these children brought by these kind of parents will be the future pillars of the country?

Padmaja said...

@Latha & Prakashika - Being a part of the society, we too got to share the attitude willingly or unwillingly. :(

Solai Kannan said...

Let us look at this in a different angle. They might not intend to criticise the ignorant English speaking person, but the annoyance of hearing the wrong communication might trigger them to do so.

I am one among those are humiliated for not speaking proper English. Most of the time, my excellence in other fields silenced them to criticise me openly. But, I can sense what went through their minds.

Let me give you an example. When I was doing my BBA, I hardly spoke one sentence in English. We had one group discussion competition among colleges. Groups were formed among the participants from various colleges, and one of the group member had been selected by lot to represent the group. Unfortunately, I had to represent our group. In fact our group came up with valid points. But, with my broken or no English I spoiled the entire group's spirit and invlovement. When I finished my presentation and returned to my group, my group and the whole hall were silent. Not because I did something spectacular but because I spoiled the whole thing. My group members didn't say anything, everyone put their heads down. I didn't feel shame for my poor English, but felt shame for letting others down.

So, in this world to communicate properly, internationally, we need English. I still unable to convey what I want to convey properly. I have to first speak in Tamil mentally and then translate them into English in a flash of time. Not only that many times I have to struggle to find the right vocabulary, which is apt.

I feel that the irritation of the listener for the poor communication makes them to comment critically. So, I am sympathetic towards the listeners only.

Padmaja said...

@Solai - To clarify, it was a clear mockery as it was going on throughout those 15 mins.

I appreciate your efforts and anxiety that others too should excel in a similar fashion. Thanks for sharing your valuable experience here.

Though I too am particular about language, I can understand the genuineness of the speaker though. I had never laughed so far and would never in future too.