Friday, July 17, 2009

Mumbai Munch - Round 4

I had to go out urgently on 14th July to pick up my ill brother from the Doc’s clinic. Mumbai had recorded heavy rainfall on that day in fact. It was raining cats & dogs outside. Though the destination was near, it was not reachable by walk. Moreover, I was skeptical about my recently healed right foot. Any slip anywhere in one of the dents on the roads would take me back to the dreadful situation and I do not wish to have it for one more time, especially now (when I have come down for a specific purpose).

But even to catch an auto, I have to walk for 4-5 mins to come out of the society campus. My umbrella and I seemed pathetic in front of the nature’s fury. At that time, an auto came near our block to drop off somebody. As I ran (conveniently forgetting my foot in excitement) to hold the man, he said that he was going in the opposite direction but he would drop me outside the compound. He also said, “Sambalke didi… Aaraam se aayiye…” :)

Not only did he drop me out, muttering to himself that it would be difficult to catch an auto in that rain, he fixed another auto for me and ensured that I got into it. When I tried to pay, he said with a smile that he didn’t do for money. He also said that he would have dropped me himself if he had not had another commitment elsewhere. I was really, really touched by his gesture.

How nice our world would be if each one is so genuine towards each other! Unfortunately, sometimes even known people behave like strangers at moments of distress.

As for the auto man, all I wish to say to him is, ‘Your Allah is all merciful.’

***

Watched a movie ‘Because of Winn Dixie’ a few days back. It is a clean movie with no glam girls or steamy scenes. The young 10 year old girl AnnaSophie looked angelic. I could not take my eyes off her. She exuded beauty and charm in all frames. The film as a whole is so cute and the dog (Winn Dixie) is absolutely adorable.

Those who want to know what is unconditional love, please do watch Winn Dixie’s expressions. I shall watch this movie with Atul once I reach Bahrain.

Next in pipeline to watch is ‘Bolt’. Hehe…

***

Some books you simply assume that you’ve read long back. One such is ‘To kill a mockingbird’. It is a book every adult nay every lawyer must read. The character of Atticus is very difficult to see in this world, especially among the present breed of lawyers.

When I told Atul over chat that I am reading this book, he asked me, “How many times will you read this?”

I said, “This is the first time I am reading,” for which he replied, “No, you have read it before.”

Did I? I don’t remember though. :D

5 comments:

Solai Kannan said...

I too had such an experience. Some 8 years ago, my sister family was returning to India for good, we were all going to Airport in a car with all the luggage. All of a sudden the car stopped in the middle of a roundabout. It is not a safety and easy place to stay. We were still in the car, couldn't think of anything as it is getting late for plan, finding taxi is not that easy at that place, on top of it even pushing the car out of roundabout is not that easy with rushing cars. Even before we get down from the car, a pick up was fast approaching in reverse as if it was going to hit the stranded car. We were shouting at that pickup. A driver from the pickup descended and tied a rope between pickup and car and started to pull the car without a word uttering to us. And parked the car away from the round about and he told us to load the luggage in his pick up and asked the passengers to board the pickup and asked the others to come by taxi and he drove them to air port safely. He said later, he just saw us in the roundabout while he was over taking us, and sensed the difficulty in a flash of a second and did all on his own. We gave money, he didn't accept anything. Until now I know his name is Ganesh. That is all.

Padmaja said...

It is very rare to see such people. Hats off to Ganesh. I thank you heartily for sharing your valuable experience which would serve us all as a good lesson on how to behave under such pressing situations.

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

I am glad that you encountered some selfless souls at times of emergency. I too witnessed similar incidents where I received help from people. As you say, strangers extending such help is something worth mentioning when people much know to us betray us at crucial moments.

Nice to learn about the movie that you watched and how you enjoyed it. :)

Hats off to Atul's sharp memory. Even if you have really not read that book, I am glad that the name of the book has rung a bell somewhere in his mind which means that he has heard about the name of the book whereas I have no idea as to what the book is about or when it won the award!! :(

Padmaja said...

Oh yes.... he is good at it.

Don't you know that children monitor their parents' activities silently and register them than what they are supposed to do? :)

The Dingbat said...

You know what they say ... The world is a reflection of yourself! :) So it's no surprise that you encounter lovely beings on your path. :) It's their good fortune! :)

And ohhhh Winn-Dixie - the dog that smiles!!! :) Quite a lovely movie! :)