Saturday, July 11, 2009

Mumbai Munch - Round 3

Yesterday night after dinner, my brother, Mother and I were reliving some of the memories for a long time. For a moment, I felt so young under the umbrella of Mother. :) Didn’t want to grow up but the reality was that I forgot to come online for a chat with my husband at that time. Poor guy! By the time (i.e. 11:30 IST) I had grown up again (hehe…), he was not online. I had to call him up from my (Mother’s) mobile to say that I am going to bed as I feel very tired and sleepy. Well, after my night prayers, I became fresh and didn’t know what to do at midnight. :D

Though many untrue and true souls walk along the journey, I realized that there can be no permanent companion from birth to death giving permanent happiness. Life is very strange indeed. Many times we lose sight of the purpose.

God! Did I become too philosophical?

Probably must have dozed off unable to withstand my own philosophical thought process. However, I was woken up at 5:45 am today morning by an sms from my friend.

:D

***

Finished reading the book ‘Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar…’ The book is mainly on Western philosophy though Eastern is also touched here and there. The authors Thomas Cathcart & Daniel Klein managed to lucidly present the boring & difficult philosophical concepts through jokes. It is a creative attempt indeed.

But did I enjoy reading this book? I can’t say clearly because I couldn’t enjoy some of the jokes as they were vulgar in any standard. Did I grasp the philosophical concepts clearly? Well, I did at the time of reading but can’t recollect now. It could be due to my poor intelligence only. However I was laughing throughout the ‘Acknowledgements’.

Here’s one of the conversations that I enjoyed which explained 'Absolute Relativity'...

Dimitri : So, Tasso, you seem to be one of those guys who thinks there is no absolute truth, that all truth is relative.
Tasso : Right.
Dimitri : Are you sure of that?
Tasso : Absolutely.


Ok... Now a joke on 'Relativity of Worldviews'

A multinational corporation advertises for a secretary. A golden retriever applies for the job, passes the typing test, and is granted an interview. The human-resources manager asks, "Do you speak any foreign languages?"

And the golden retriever says, "Meow."


I felt that “Sophie’s World” is my type of book (though the ending of SW is awkward & disappointing) as the philosophical concepts are presented more clearly.

The students of these authors are really fortunate. I can understand how entertaining and enlivening their classes would be.

***

Now got to watch another dog movie during my spare time. Shall write on this later. :)

1 comment:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

I am glad that you are feeling young and comfortable with your Mother. The same is the case here though my kids who are with me often remind me that I am their Mother :)

Nice to read some excerpts from the book that you read. Keep reading. You are investing your time so fruitfully and I am getting inspired by you again. Great going!