Monday, July 06, 2009

Mumbai munch

Whenever I come down to Mumbai, it is an unwritten rule that I start using Mother’s mobile number without even informing her. So, enjoying the rains from the balcony, I was speaking to my friend last week who had fondly remembered me to make that long distance call.

Upon completion of the call, my brother casually asked me, “Who’s that?”

Mother replied with a smile, “Don’t you know that she could befriend anyone even in the first meet?”

I could not stop exclaiming loudly if this is a compliment or something different. We three had a good laugh after that.

On a serious note, I could honestly say that I have only a few handful of dear friends who are with me for a long time wherever they are.

***

From the commentary box, Alan Wilkins rightly called the two players ‘gladiators’. Probably he would have been inspired to say so after seeing the ‘Gladiator’ Russell Crowe sitting on the stands. True to his words, yesterday’s Wimbledon Final Men’s match was one such that neither Roger Federer nor Andy Roddick was willing to give away the coveted championship so easily. The spectators were blessed to witness one of the graceful fights on the court yesterday. Roger appeared contented and grinning from ear to ear as he has become a tennis icon after yesterday’s win in front of legendary Rod Laver, Pete Sampras, Bjorn Borg. He was the same man who broke down emotionally after clinching this year’s French Open title. And it was he who cried after losing 2009 Australian Open title to Nadal.

You have broken a dream record yesterday. No tears this time, Federer?

Well, well…. emotions are part and parcel of every human being and that’s what differentiates a human from a stone.

While Roger Federer was seen outwardly happy, Andy Roddick tried very hard to control his emotions and behaved so well. My heart is always concerned about the emotions of losers than feeling one with the winners. Why am I like this?

***

Some 4-5 days back, I watched a very, very sweet film ‘Air Buddies’. Those kids… hehe….. golden retriever pups were absolutely adorable. You could imagine how much I would have enjoyed the movie, I being a dog lover. If you have kids, ask them to watch. They would love it. If you have childlike heart, you too can watch this movie. I wish to watch again with Atul and Balaji once I return to Bahrain. :)

Your face will be fixed with a smile when you see the puppy ‘Buddha’ chanting ‘Aum’ to collect positive energy during one of its difficult journeys to rescue its gifted parents. :)

***

More later.

3 comments:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Your 'Mumbai Munch' was really crunchy!

Regarding the compliments that you received from your Mother - I too second it. You are pretty friendly with all.

The losers in a match sometimes burst out crying. That is why probably you are with the losers to empathise their loss. The losers are given too much importance these days particularly by the media guys who keep asking them the reasons for their failure. They need some guts to face the loss. I am glad that you are with the losers sharing their agony.

I am glad that you enjoyed a movie about dogs. Please watch "Hotel for Dogs". You will love it. I swear! My daughters simply loved the movie in the big screen. Don't miss it.

Sriharsha Salagrama said...

I don't know precisely how Roddick felt, but the mere act of watching his emotions as they poured out was draining, especially during the post-match press conf. Out on court, A-Rod could still muster the odd joke (apologising to Sampras for not being able to hold off Federer). But in the press conf, the poor man could only give monosyllabic answers. No one wanted to hurt the man any more. When the legendary tennis journalist Bud Collins cried out "Liberate this man. Well done, Andy!" there was none in the media who disagreed.
Sampras may have won the championship and the record, but it was A-Rod who won the hearts.
Well, he won yours and mine at any rate! :)

Padmaja said...

@Latha - You must have seen Andy Roddick after the match. As Sriharsha explained, he struggled hard to contain his emotions but he won many hearts, as Sriharsha explained. Btw, I admire the way Nadal handles himself whether it is a win or lose situation.

I shall surely watch the movie and give you feedback. :)

@Sriharsha - True, true... Andy was so close, yet so far. Unlucky chap this time too.