Friday, July 24, 2009

Silence to silence

Rarely do I sit for long in front of the computer these days but if at all I do, either it is to watch a movie or write or read something. My two-way communication with the outside world is drastically reduced.

The dancing of trees in the cool breeze, the red and yellow roses that blossom in the balcony, touch and go rains, exquisite conversations of birds all keep me in rapture. In fact, I was so taken away by the birds’ non-stop chattering on the solar eclipse day (July 22) that I wanted to learn their language. I could understand how Yanni would have derived inspiration for his ‘Nightingale’. No wonder, the great artist had made me enjoy the music though I am zero in musical skills. Listen to it if you have not heard so far.

There is no silence at all in the air because of these birds; yet silence is felt easily.

***

Watched BOLT. Hats off to the creators of this animation movie. The dog is so cute, naïve and loveable. I could not control my laughter when Bolt is nailed to ground realities and tries to learn unwillingly from Mittens ‘how to behave like a normal dog’.

Whether he is playing with the rubber carrot or begging for food under the able guidance of Mittens or enjoying simple joys of life like popping out of the window with his tongue out while travelling, Bolt is simply superb. After all, fake love and fake people are something that we all abhor and do not wish to be associated with. Bolt is no exception. Thank God, Penny proves to be a real person of real love.

This is one movie I may watch again and again. :)

***

I am reading ‘A Certain Ambiguity’ these days. Infinite doors are opening up in understanding the concept of infinity. Better… I should be more careful when I use the word ‘infinity’ henceforth. Once again, I realise why my late father was so addicted to Mathematics till his last breath.

I could not stop admiring the creative and interesting presentation of the difficult concepts of Mathematics.

That reminds me... though it is just 5 minutes away from my house, I am yet to make a visit to Crossword. I need at least a minimum of 3 hours to quietly laze around the bookshelves and also to watch the interesting personalities of all ages walk in. :D At present, I don’t have that much time but surely will do before I leave for Bahrain.

***

If I have had a daughter, I would have considered naming her as ‘Sanghamitra’. It is such a beautiful name. I used to feel a lot of grace and divinity in it. I am drawn to that name ever since I’ve heard of it in my childhood. To rewind a little history, she was the daughter of Emperor Ashoka who became a Buddhist monk and went to Sri Lanka along with her brother (Mahindra) to spread the teachings of Buddha and adopt female nuns.

When I was going through the train timetable a few days back, I was happy to see the name, though I am not travelling by Sanghamitra Express. :)

After so many years, now I could vaguely understand why I like the name 'Sangamitra'. It could be because

* though being a daughter of great emperor, she opted to become a nun and sacrificed her luxuries for a noble cause
* my love for Buddha

I feel stirred when I recite these powerful lines along with birds' loud whispers …..

Buddham Sharanam Gacchami
Dharmam Sharanam Gacchami
Sangam Sharanam Gacchami


Silence is easily felt in the air.

***

6 comments:

Gayatri said...

Dear Padmaja,

u r write ups just makes me dumbfound. I don't have words to describe my feelings. u astonish me with your sensitivity, ability to see extraordinary things in normal mundane insignificant things (for me). This only makes me realize how much more is there in this life to experience and learn. Hence forth whenever we have time we will meet you are going to talk i am going to listen. I want to make best use of this opportunity which God has kept just hand stretch away.

Padmaja said...

Flatter me not, Gayatri. It is just that I write whatever I feel like at that moment of time. That's all. But what you say is very true. Many times we fail to capture the small wonders & celebrations of life.

The Dingbat said...

Dear Padmaja,

The Nightingale is one of my favourites!!! I love all that I have heard of Yanni's compositions! :)

And Bolt is so cuuuuuutttteeeeee!!!! :) I watched it too!! Among other things, weren't the pigeons just awesome?? The way they keep cocking their heads!! :)))

I so wish I could meet you when you are here in India ... Mebbe some day soon we will meet.. :)

Prakashika said...

Dear Padmaja,
I will watch that movie and let you know.

As u said i very much like that name Sangamithra.
Happy to hear the same from you!
I also like the name "Samyuktha".

Padmaja said...

@Anitha : I am back in Bahrain now. If Providence wills, we will surely meet one day.

@Prakashika : Samyukta is the name of one of my dear friends, whose memory would stay with me till my last breath. I remember her to be an embodiment of humility and love. It is indeed a beautiful name.

Unknown said...

Padmaja
Have you though why Buddhism was wiped out from India in spite of the great prince who started THE WAY. One of the reasons was the importance of the 'Sangha'. The Sangha can never be a substitute for the Truth or the Buddha or Dharma. Sangha was the Order of monks/nuns and not society

Karunakar