Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Mumbai Munch - Round 2

Last Saturday (04/07/2009), it was heavy downpour over here. I was just watching, watching and watching from the kitchen window as I was busy throughout the day. Having settled in a country where I hardly see any rains, such yearly visits to Mumbai during monsoon time is a real treat for me though I’ve heard Mumbaikars hating this season. Today the weather is gloomy as it is drizzling since morning. I could hear the birds having their morning conversations too. This reminds me of the birds from the nearby trees playing rhythmic beats to Swamiji’s morning speeches during our stay in Siddhbhari ashram this March. Ah! Life is indeed beautiful!

***

To refer a word, I picked up our old English Oxford Dictionary which is not in so good a condition. While I was mentally chiding my brother for not replacing with the latest one, I was in near tears to see my late father’s beautiful running handwriting throughout the pages. For example, against the word ‘peripatetic’, he had written ‘itinerant’ for a quick reference.

Even in the midst of severe pains, I’ve seen him reading or solving crossword or adding new words from Readers’ Digest, or create such thesaurus shortcuts. He had never sat idle. He had never grumbled, moaned or got irritated for the pains that he was going through because he had mastered the art of channeling his energies. Any subject could ignite his interest, be it Philosophy, Psychology, Mathematics, English, History, Geography, Science, Religion, Sports or anything for that matter. He was a keen and humble learner till he breathed his last.

Yesterday I learnt a new word thanks to his eye catching handwriting – ‘verbigerate’. He is teaching still even after cutting off his relationship with us 12 years back.

Out of sudden impulse, I opened the first page to get shocked. You know what…. my name is imprinted there as ‘S. Padmaja’ in capital letters in my own handwriting. This was indeed my old dictionary which he was using during his last years (which I had forgotten all these years).

I quietly returned the treasure back to its original place.

***

Two days back, I was trying to fix BiPap for Mother after her breakfast so that she can have her required quota of BiPap hours per day. In spite of the limitations that she has got, she joked, “See… just like smokers and drunkards, I have also become addicted to this. My physical body craves for this.”

I replied to her with a smile, “This is your life support and not a destructive habit. Your physical body craves for it because your lungs need it. Do not think otherwise.”

She nodded innocently.

Ah! She is a great woman of willpower and mental strength. I marvel at her combination of innocence and intelligence.

***

I got to write on the book that I am reading but only later. :)

2 comments:

Latha said...

Padmaja,

Rightly said! We are the proverbial ostrich (or whatever bird) waiting for the rains!! I am also eagerly looking forward to enjoying some moist moments with the rains.

I am moved by the touching moments that you would have gone through on opening the dictionary. Yes, there are people who continue to learn and teach even after they leave us.

I am glad to note that your Mother is going through her treatment with some cheer. Your explanation to her was convincing and appropriate.

Keep updating more!

Padmaja said...

@Latha - Thank you. I shall do.

There are hundred and one incidents happen to tap the unknown corner of the memory bank. But it should only teach us to be a more humble and truthful being than aggravating false pride and attitude. It's a challenge though.