Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hunger

Somalia's hunger crisis brings tears....

Hunger is one of the worst spears that can hit any persona to lose sanity, dignity, diplomacy and patience. Hunger can push a person to lower levels in a moment.

I was shocked when I read (sometime back) about a village that does mercy killing the elders who fall sick terribly because it can’t afford to treat their illnesses due to extreme poverty.

When half of the world’s population is struggling to appease hunger and thirst, it’s of bad taste to waste food deliberately. There's another sect who deny food to the needy at appropriate time, for reasons known only to them. There’s nothing wrong in getting angry with all such arrogance, I feel.

Probably, such people do not know what hunger is. Probably, they’ve not understood the meaning of ‘empathy’. Probably, they are not aware of the crushing blows of the Laws of Karma – on individuals and collective humanity.

Whatever be the reason, personally, I feel that they are one of the many facets of ignorance.

Hunger can be completely wiped out from this world only when we erase the borders of countries, see ourselves as One Being and share the abundance equally.

To talk of hunger, the form of Irom Sharmila enters into my being in full force. Can a person glow with such inner strength and hold on to her fast for more than a decade? Can a person be so graceful, full of gratitude and smiling in spite of injustices done on her?

I go speechless and humbled whenever I think of her.

After all, we are free to create our lives the way we wish, isn’t it?

1 comment:

Latha said...

Padmaja, hunger is such a horrible form of punishment if one is forced into it. I too feel many times for those suffering without food but I have not done anything for them. I sometimes feel that it is so brutal on my part to prepare a variety of dishes and satisfy the hunger of my family and friends when I know there are many in this world who can not afford a square meal per day.