Thursday, February 07, 2008

Puppy refuses to leave me

Last year, my son was terribly disturbed after watching the movie ‘Vettaiyadu Vilaiyadu’ in theatres starring Kamal Hassan and Jothika. It took him more than a month to come out of the mental trauma that the celluloid violence had thrust on him.

In the film, two young medical (gay) students target young girls for their medical research. They cut the thumb of the girls live, rape, kill and bury them. To the horror of the parents of missing girls, a thumb dripping with blood would hang at their doorsteps.

The boys had acted extremely well so much so that my son started believing them to be real characters and feared that they might knock our doors at any time.

Three days back, when I read the disturbing news in our local newspaper, Gulf Daily News, I was really horrified. I could not eat, sleep, think or stop tears from my eyes. I am pushed to the depressed state effortlessly since then.

A three week old puppy was stolen from the animal sanctuary of Bahrain by local thugs in the night of last Thursday. The headline news was, they peeled off the skin of the puppy from the forehead till the collar, cut both the ears neatly and left him back in the same place to die.

Killing is a dastardly act no doubt but such cruelty has no pardon at all. It speaks volumes and volumes of psychological disorder, mental instability, brutal attitude, heartless character and poor upbringing.

What pleasure could a person derive from such shameful acts? How can a human hurt a defenseless, new born living being to this extent? Even if caught by the police, will there be any trial of justice? Or will the culprits be left free as the damage was done only to a small puppy? What is the guarantee that such sadism will not be tried on humans as well? How could such people be recognized in the crowd?

So many questions echo from the walls of my flat but with no answer.

Puppy has the mental strength to withstand this unimaginable torture. Human beings must have already gained enough distrust gracefully in his eyes as he is destined to live with the physical scar and mental fear throughout his life, thanks to us. Probably he may grow into a fine dog and forget whatever had happened to him in his baby days.

But, just as the memories of good and bad refuse to leave me, the unseen puppy too has found a place among them. At present, he refuses to leave me out of my mind and heart.

10 comments:

Elanchezhiyan said...

Hai.

My comments for the films:

Film Certification board is sleeping. I agree your points. The film certification board members have to distinguish who can see the film as per the age (like below 12, above 18) like that. Corruption is playing here. Just for making a money they are doing whatever they want. It is like prostitution. Why, they don't have any other way to tell the story? It means the failure of the Creativity. We can figure out some of the good films like Autograph. Film certification board and the Government has to keep more concentrate to solve this problem.

You may know about "Record dance" in the village. The government banned this. But what is going on in the films now? If the government allows to conduct "Record dance" atleast their families will survive. There are so many moralities in the world...

About puppy:

Really heartless men act. They don't know about love. I thought that they born for some other...... Over freedom also one of the reason for this kind of activities.

you know.......when my grandfather expired, after two weeks our dog also expired without eating. Really on that time I am not worry about my grandfather. I thought only about our dog.

Atlast we need a white handed Hitler to eradicate these kind of problems.

Really your article sizzles my mind.

with regards,
Elanchezhiyan

Radhakrishnan said...

We can't explain human's irresponsible acts. This is really sad. We need to develop the attitude that these things should not affect our minds and we need to fight against these kind of improper act of humankind.

Thank you Padmaja.

Padmaja said...

Elanchezhiyan,

I understand your outpours. What you have said is very true as far as films are concerned.

As for the puppy, what can be more said? One of my favourite short stories is R.K. Narayan's 'The Blind Dog'. Dogs are such lovely creatures. God bless such souls too who inflict pain on others.

Padmaja said...

Radha,

Not getting affected is not within my reach at least now. I am a sensitive person if not sensible. I need to travel a long distance to remain unperturbed. Hope some maturity is bestowed on me in the years to come! All that I can do right now is to document my feelings in words when I can. If by chance anybody is affected by my writings, I would be too glad.:)

Radhakrishnan said...

Well, I was affected by your writings otherwise I wouldn't have known this cruel act. I respect your views and I feel the pain as well. Thank you Padamaja.

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Your feelings for the young puppy is well narrated in the form of a beautiful article. I believe the reason for such acts should be only mental disorder.
Though it is very disturbing to hear, nothing can be done by us except sincerely wishing and praying for the betterment of the little one.
Your love for all beings irrespective of what category they belong to is worth an appreciation.

Padmaja said...

Thank you, Radha.

Padmaja said...

The moment our child falls on the ground, we run, nurse with compassion, be a support throughout and protect him/her with our love. It is the same feeling, Latha.

Praying for the betterment of the little one is what is needed for the puppy. Nabbing the culprits and getting them treated for their psychological disorder is the most important thing that is required at the moment.

S. Ravi Venkatramana said...

Padmaja,

A thoroughly disturbing incident... How can someone even think of doing like this?

I think parents must educate their children well and not let them watch movies like what you'd mentioned. As you said, upbringing matters the most to avoid such shameful and sorrowful events in life.

- Ravi

Padmaja said...

Ravi, It is sickening to think of it even.

Being a good parent is the most difficult thing and a challenging task in the world, in my humble opinion.