Friday, February 08, 2008

Wisps of mental whispers




Shying away from the naked breeze
Soft tendrils of black and white locks
Cross my sensual face in a hurry

Looking through those wisps of hair
The child in me is awakened to count
The strands that careen my eye lashes

Petite knots that run near my nostrils
Quiver as if a storm has befallen
Only to move past swiftly to my lips

Enjoying the play of zephyr on me
I tie my hair up with eyes closed
Swinging to sweet childhood memories

I dig up from the depth of the past
Bare feet running in the fields of open
And burning hands in the lost tug of wars

Curious attic discoveries with the ladder
And ghost stories surrounding lonely trees
Walk past my memory scan in élan

I replay again and again those moments of
My silence upon seeing the contours of clouds
And wide gaping at the screeching pulleys

Hearing the loud knocks of my door
I refuse to move from the windowsill
Only to continue my reminiscences

Lo! Like those disarrayed puzzles
Caught in a storm of beastly order
My memories shuffle in quick succession

Pulling out my boyish pranks in front
A neat collage of past in black & white
Gets knotted to my utter surprise

Pleased with my brain of splendor today
I glance through the window slowly
To paint my mind work with cosmic colours

With the pounding of steps closer and closer
And the known voices nearer and nearer
I lie back on my bed with a false humility

Sshhh…. Let me do my own colouring later
As the mental doctor enters into my room
To trigger my sleep of irrelevant dreams of colours



This is my contribution for Contest Week 13
Picture Courtesy : spk100

4 comments:

Latha said...

Dear Padmaja

Your imagination is indeed unique. The moment I saw the photo, I could not think of something even close to the way you have written. I was wondering how this photo can be elaborated. You have made it!
It is indeed wonderful, very descriptive and truly poetic! Wonderful Padmaja! You have indeed mastered the art of poetry and hats off to your power of imagination!

Padmaja said...

Haha! Your comments gave me the much needed wide smile at the moment. I didn't have anything else to do yesterday, nor had the mood to read anything. So, my solitude was converted into this writing. :)

Well, if you think that the poem has come out well, I am glad to receive such comments from you. After all the little ego in me needs that cushioning to write further till I become fed up of writing... :D

Radhakrishnan said...

Very well written! Very creative. Thank you Padmaja.

Padmaja said...

Thank you, Radha.